Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Do 3rd Party SIP clients require a dedicated user?

Unanswered Question
Feb 7th, 2014
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hi all,

I've been testing 3rd party SIP clients on mobile devices and Mac systems.  I've found that I can only get the device to register properly with this setup:

CUCM v9.1.2:

1. Create a user with userID equal to the device DN and a digest password
  2. Set that user to control the 3rd party SIP device
  3. Set Digest User in 3rd party SIP device to equal the new user matching the DN

This setup allows me to register by configuring the DN as the username in the SIP client, the DN as the digest user in the SIP client, and the digest password as defined in the new DN user.

The documentation says I should be able to use an existing user with digest credentials.  i.e.:

1. Set an existing user's digest credentials and configure it to control the 3rd party SIP device
  2. Set the digest user in the 3rd party SIP device to the existing user
  3. Set up 3rd party SIP client with DN as username, username as digest user, and digest password

When I set it up like this I get a 404 not found from CUCM.  "The device/user was not found in the database".  Has anyone gotten this to work?  It seems like it should be simple.  I'm set up with a SIP phone security profile that supports digest auth, and as I noted, it works when there's a user whose username matches the DN.

Thanks!

Ryan

Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)
Ayodeji Okanlawon Fri, 02/07/2014 - 08:59
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony

Thats a little strange. I have recently setup a 3rd part sip client by just using a username different from the extension and also configuring a digest credentials different from the extension. It must have something to do with the client itself..

Please rate all useful posts

"The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"

4rmorris Fri, 02/07/2014 - 18:52
User Badges:

I hate answering my own question, but I finally figured it out.  My username coming from LDAP has capital letters in it (i.e. RMorris, not just rmorris).  The username for digest authentication turns out to be case sensitive (/me kicks himself for not trying this sooner).

Once I capitalised the first two characters of my username in X-Lite, boom, it registered right away.  There goes 2 days of my life.  Now I have to figure out how to explain that to end users, or automate the configuration based on the LDAP case (I've noticed that some of our user IDs are small caps, mixed or all caps).

I hope this helps the next person that comes along!

Ayodeji Okanlawon Sat, 02/08/2014 - 01:26
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony

I bet you should have come to the forum 2 days ago..We would have saved your hours of trouble! Yes I ran into the same issue but luckily for me, it didnt take me 48hrs to discover it (this is me rubbing it in for you now..and I see you getting MAD at me now!)..

I always assumed it wasnt case sensitive, but it is...And hey..you havent rated my post for helping you go back and figure out why it wasnt working!!!

Please rate all useful posts

"The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"

4rmorris Sat, 02/08/2014 - 08:09
User Badges:

Hah... it's true, the forums are a great help. I'm rating your last reply highly for it's moxie, and the earlier one for it's helpfulness :)

Thanks again,

Ryan

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content