Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N and firmware 2.0.7.4

m.zafrany
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I tested the last firmware 2.0.7.4 on 10 AP. It was catastrophic because all access points stopped working (no SSID WIFI visible but Ethernet Interface OK) . I downgraded all AP to 2.0.6.1 to solve this problem.

Finally, i can't use the last firmware so i can't secure the system....

What about a new "GOOD" firmware ?

Thanks.

51 Replies 51

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Michael,

The WAP4410N should work well with 2.0.7.4. I recommend that you upgrade one AP, set it to factory defaults and reconfigure it manually. If it works well, that indicates some problem with the prior configuration or the new firmware is causing the old config to corrupt. In that case I would reconfigure fully and then copy that config to the other APs (change the address and other settings as needed).

If you cannot get one AP working correctly with the latest firmware after resetting to factory defaults, please call support and open a case:

cisco.com/go/sbsc

- Marty

Thanks Marty for your quick answer.

I am disapointed because you said that i need to reset all AP, it's not a good news. So you can admit that something is abnormal in upgrade procedure with the last firmware version...

So i will try your procedure in a few weeks because i can't do that at the moment.

Best regards,

Michael

Michael,

I am not aware of any issues with upgrading the APs to the latest firmware. As far as I know it normally works well. Clearly there is something wrong in your case, which is why I made the suggestions. I recommend testing with only one AP at first to see if it makes a difference. If not, call support and open a case.

- Marty

I upgraded one of my three WAP4410Ns the other day to v2.0.7.4. Dead easy! It was a V02 model though. Could it be that your models Michael are V01? My reading of Release Notes suggests recent FW revsions are not compatible. As my other two are V01, I would also like Marty to provide an answer to this.

Norrie

Hi Norrie603,

Firmware versions higher than 2.0.0.12 are compatible with version 1 and 2 hardware. If I recall correctly there was one firmware release that was only compatible with v.2 hardware but it is no longer published.

- Marty

OK Marty. This explains why despite what the Release Notes seem to say, at the recommendation of Cisco Network Engineer Diego Rodriguez back in late 2012, I was able to update my V01s from v2.0.0.12 to v2.0.4.2. Since that time they have been 100% good! No problems.

Based on your input, I should just go ahead to v2.0.7.4 to fix the security hole identified in December. I am prepared to brick one WAP to prove a point, as the WAP321 looks to be an interesting alternative. In my place, would you go for the FW update??

FWIW, I have an identical dilemma with my Router, an RVS4000 V01 model. Any thoughts on whether to go from v1.3.3.5 to the latest v2.0.3.4? Bearing in mind that if I brick this one, I will be cut off from the world! Looking at an RV320 as a possible modern replacement.

Thanks for your help.

Norrie

Norrie,

I would certainly upgrade the WAP4410N to the latest firmware to close the security breach.

You cannot upgrade the RVS4000 to any version 2 or higher firmware. It either will not accept it or it will brick it. I'm not willing to test this to find out.

My understanding is that a firmware will be released by the end of February to patch the version 1 RVS4000 and also the version 1 WRVS4400N. Check the downloads page for updates.

- Marty

Excellent news, Marty. I will have a go tomorrow with my two V01s, now confident of success. I already updated my V02 yesterday, and all is fine with it.

As for my router, I was already 99% sure it could not use any V02 FW. But good to know there is a V01 fix scheduled. Will watch for it. Might still opt for a shiny new router anyway, the RV320 being my current choice. Need to read its manual, specifically to check it can cope with 50 entries in its Static IP Mapping table. Assuming it can handle DHCP reserved IPs of course!

Appreciated your very prompt response on this.

Thanks again.

Norrie

Message was edited by: Norman Macdonald (Typo)

Re. Packet loss on WAP4410N, you may find this post of mine of interest.  Cisco will not replace the faulty V01 WAPS.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12445636/wap4410n-v01-version-faulty-hw-slow-wan-dont-set-port-1gb-faulty

All the best .... Rob.

Hi Norrie603,

I've got 10 AP with V02 hardware. The firmware upgrade seems to be good but after a few minutes all wifi ssid are disappeared...

I don't know what causes the crash in my config...

I've got 3 SSID with wpa2-personal (AES) .

This model of AP is not very stable, it's my opinion (like "stuck beacon problem" from the past...). I have some regrets...

Best regards.

Michael

Hi Michael.

I cannot comment about why your SSIDs are heading south, obviously something in your configuration could be amiss. Hopefully one of the helpful people on this forum can provide some inspiration!.

I have a single V02 model, and since I updated it to v2.0.7.4, AFAIK it has been OK. It serves the rear of the property and in fairness I have not used wifi there since the security fix.

[Edit: Had a brainwave... ran inSSIDer, and all three of my WAPs, plus a couple of other nearby signals popped up. So all definitely OK for now.]

Going to try v2.0.7.4 on my two V01s later today if I can find time.

I am really sorry to hear you regret buying your WAP4410Ns, but I have to say I rather like mine, and certainly did not want to have to abandon them over the recent security bug. I find its browser-based device manager easy to use. As a domestic customer I certainly did not want the expense of 3xWAP121 or 321 replacements. Don't give up on yours too easily, although I do realise that with ten, you definitely cannot afford to be having reliablity problems.

Good luck.

Norrie

Michael,

I recommend that you call support for troubleshooting since the issue is with ten devices.

www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

- Marty

Both v2.0.7.4 updates are good. All my three WAP4410Ns are fixed. One odd thing is that while all three can have their settings viewed using IE on PC, only one V01 and the V02 can be accessed using Safari on my iPad.  Otherwise they seem to be running all right, with v2.0.7.4 displaying on the Status page.

Now waiting for the RVS4000 FW fix to appear.

Norrie

Norrie,

Thanks for the update!

- Marty

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: