cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sleeping Clients - WLC 7.6

moody
Level 1
Level 1

We are running 7.6 on our 5508-WLC.  We have a number of issues w/ 'i-clients' when they go asleep.  From what I can tell, I need to enable the 'sleeping clients' feature (not just the session and idle timeouts).

On our WLANs we use Layer-2 (WPA+WPA2) security.  Is my understanding correct, that to enable Sleeping Clients we need to also have layer-3 security enabled?  If so - is there a way around that requirement?

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On our WLANs we use Layer-2 (WPA+WPA2) security.  Is my understanding correct, that to enable Sleeping Clients we need to also have layer-3 security enabled?  If so - is there a way around that requirement?

Sleeping clients only works with WebAuth with no layer 2 encryption.  If you are using a layer 2 encryption, it will not work as its not supported.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott -

just a quick follow-up. 

is l3 a better/more secure way of doing authentication?  we don't use it so i'm not that familiar w/ it (still reading up on it). we're thinking of moving to l3 security if it'll buy us the sleeping clients option - i'm not sure what else it provides for us though or if it's even a good idea.

For your internal users, 802.1x is the best way to secure your wireless. WebAuth is best for guest users. Having active directory, you can bring up an NPS radius server that is joined to the domain and authenticate computer or users.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card