Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Translation patterns - best practice

Answered Question
Feb 13th, 2014
User Badges:

We have 300 DIDs from our telco.    Currently, only 150 are in use.   If a call comes thru for a non-asigned number, I would like to set-up a call handler that states the number is a non-working number that belongs to the company and then give options for contacting the correct person.      Also, when a person leaves the company I am currenly forawarding the number to the operator but I would also like to make these numbers part of the call handler.

My question is this - what is the best way to set this up?    I currently am removing the number from the directory numbers and setting up a translation pattern to point the number to an end point such as the operator.    Is this the best thing to do?    I would like to know what is considered to be "best practice" in keeping the phone system as clean as possible.

I appreciate any input.

Pat

Correct Answer by kaseyking about 3 years 6 months ago

I would setup a catch-all scenario with a translation to a CTIRP that would forward to VM and hit the Call handler you desire.  For example if you had the DIDs 212-555-1000 thru 212-555-1299 i would first setup a non-DID CTI RP that matches your call handler dtmf (e.g. 7999 if you use 4 digit extensions).  the CTI RP for 7999 would forward to VM and then the Call Handler with DTMF of 7999 would play your message that number is not in use.

Then setup a translation for 212-555-1[012]xx that translates to 7999.

This wildcard match would not route the call if there was a more specific match present within the Calling Search Space for the Gateway.  So if extension 1050 was present it would route to that phone, but if extension 1051 was a terminated or unused number it would not be present and therefore the call would hit the translation and be routed to the "number not in use" call handler.

I think this is what you are after, a way to minimize the translations and not have to keep track of individual numbers.  Of course modify the length of the translations if you are not routing based on 10 digits.

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
kaseyking Thu, 02/13/2014 - 07:32
User Badges:

I would setup a catch-all scenario with a translation to a CTIRP that would forward to VM and hit the Call handler you desire.  For example if you had the DIDs 212-555-1000 thru 212-555-1299 i would first setup a non-DID CTI RP that matches your call handler dtmf (e.g. 7999 if you use 4 digit extensions).  the CTI RP for 7999 would forward to VM and then the Call Handler with DTMF of 7999 would play your message that number is not in use.

Then setup a translation for 212-555-1[012]xx that translates to 7999.

This wildcard match would not route the call if there was a more specific match present within the Calling Search Space for the Gateway.  So if extension 1050 was present it would route to that phone, but if extension 1051 was a terminated or unused number it would not be present and therefore the call would hit the translation and be routed to the "number not in use" call handler.

I think this is what you are after, a way to minimize the translations and not have to keep track of individual numbers.  Of course modify the length of the translations if you are not routing based on 10 digits.

yahsiel2004 Thu, 02/13/2014 - 07:33
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Personally I would create a CTI place holder with a directory number that matches my entire DID range. The only way a call would match my DN range would be if there wasn't a more specific DN. Example below:

DID Range 8500 - 8599

CTI Route Point

Line 1 - 85XX

Call Forward All to VM

The call would not match a voicemail box when it hits the VM system and instead play the opening greeting which should allow the caller to search the directory. If you wanted to, you could configure a Call Handler to play a prompt and then give an option to search the directory. You have to create a "Forwarded Routing Rule" to send the call to the Call Handler.

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

yahsiel2004 Thu, 02/13/2014 - 07:34
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Kasey (+5) we had the same idea, but you were quicker on the draw.

Regards,

Yosh

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content