Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy between cisco 2950 and huawei switch

Asad Abbas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All    

i have 2  switch one is catalyst 2950 and other is huawei i want to make  redundant link the proablem is that there is no spanning tree instance  on huawei switch and but on catalyst 2950 i enable rapid pvst

catalyst 2950                                    huawei

fast ethernet 0/9 --------------------------> ethernet 0/9

fastethernet 0/10--------------------------> ethernet 0/10

catalyst  2950 automaticaly sense loop and block 0/10 port the problem is that  when the other 0/9 is in down then 0/10 is remain in backup and block

i don't want tu run stp on huawei switch because of reason

please help me what i do when one link is goes down other automatically  up 

5 Replies 5

Ankur Arora
Level 1
Level 1

Asad,

The reason eth0/10 doesn't come up even when the other link is down is because spanning tree instance is not running on Huawei, and possiblly the fa0/10 on 2950 is going to inconsistent blocking state and it won't come up untill you activate a spanning tree instance on Huawei.

If you are loking for link redundancy why don't you create a portchannel using the two links.

Thanks

Ankur

"Please rate the post if found useful"

first of all thanks for answer

i know design is very poor but because of some reason i can not cange due to some reasons. In this scenario i want to make redundant link plz help me i want to give prefrence to fiber, if fiber goes down microwave link will up and when fiber goes up again traffic shift on fiber. this is the diagram of network.. when fiber goes down the microwave link not up in real it alwasy remain in backup state

Capture.JPG

You can't have a redundant layer 2 topology without STP. Well, yes you can but then you would have a bridging loop so I definitely do not recommend it.

Why can't you run STP on the Huawei switches?

You could look into the switchport backup interface command if the Cisco supports it. Then it would have primary interface up until it goes down and then bring up the secondary one. When the primary comes back it can switch back to that, you can set a preempt timer so that it does not happen too often.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

again thans to reply

Actually i am running a small ISP . the huawei switch are my core switch . once i run stp on huawei switch but my all network goes down because my all clients traffic pass through these switch. thats  why i can not afford stp. now i want to cisco switch install on clients and facing  this problem.

waht i do now ?????

If your network goes down when enabling STP there must be some misconfiguration between the devices. Which model are the Huaweis? I want to see what kind of STP they support.

Did you look into using the switchport backup interface feature?

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card