Helpful
Replies

CDP shows Full Duplex Disabled but config shows "Actual Full Duplex"

Cisco4NCS
Level 1
Level 1

Config:

ESXi 5 / Nexus 1000v, on UCS B200M3s with palo and vic 1240s

Looking at what CDP reports (from vem view in vCenter), it shows Full Duplex...... Disabled on all VEM Uplinks. However if you look at the vSwitch properties, vmnic properties show Configured Speed, Duplex: 10000 Mb, Full Duplex,  Actual Speed, Duplex: 10000 Mb, Full Duplex.

Anyone else seen this?

dts

2 Replies 2

sachin0312
Level 1
Level 1

any answer on this please.

I've noticed that on ESXi with just a standard vswitch, in a UCSM blade running 5.5.

It appears the VMware implementation of CDP may not be polling correctly, or the GUI doesn't report correctly.

Try logging into the esxi host via SSH, and run: esxcfg-nics -l

In my lab the GUI says Full Duplex: Disabled, but output from esxcfg-nics -l says: Full in the Duplex column.  Appears the GUI doesn't always agree with the CLI in ESXi.  Maybe just an ESXi GUI bug.

I've also noticed that in UCSM or where QOS determines maximum MTU, that the MTU will also report 1500 from VMware, even on a vnic set to jumbo  that is pinned to an uplink that allows jumbo frames (i.e. best effort class allows 9000)

Thanks,

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: