Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 3850 reports "No such device" on usbflash0:

nhuan022354
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I don't know why on my multiple 3850, command "sho usbflash0:" responds "no such device".

I did try with different USB sticks those verified work on PC .

The light on one of the USB sticks did light up and blinking.

Is there a way to "mount" this usbflsh0: ?

Thanks.

Leo Le

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know why on my multiple 3850, command "sho usbflash0:" responds "no such device".

This means the 3rd party USB thumb drive is not supported. 

NOT ALL 3rd party USB thumb drive is supported.  It doesn't matter if your PC can "see it" or not.  Try different sizes and/or different brand.   Why? 

1.  The brand of the thumb drive does NOT mean that they were manufactured by the company.  Meaning, it may say Toshiba 16 Gb but it does NOT mean that Toshiba manufactured the thumb drive.  As a matter of fact, Toshiba 16 Gb and Toshiba 32 Gb does NOT guarantee that the thumb drive were manufactured by the same company.    Big companies, like Sandisk, Lexar, Toshiba, Verbatim, etc ... they BUY these product from different manufacturer.  The companies buy the thumb drive BARE.  That means no cover.  Just a tip and the PCB.  The company then design a "shape" or the end product.  This is why a Lexar 16 Gb could be manufactured by one company, and the 8 Gb can be manufactured by another company.  Now neither are these two companies do NOT follow standard or they do.  The main selling point is that these drives can be detected by Windows and Mac's and that's good enough for the big companies like Toshiba, Lexar, Sandisk, etc. 

2.  You need to try different brands and different sizes.  The safest size to test is either 16 Gb or 32 Gb.  Don't try the bigger ones because there's no guarantee that they'll work.  The bigger ones are also more expensive, plus, WHY would you want to get, for example, a 64 Gb drive to put one or two different IOS in? 

3.  Use the switch to format the USB flash drive FIRST before you load any IOS files into it.

Hi Leo Laohoo, What is the SIZE and VENDOR of the USB stick that works for you ? Thanks Leo

Currently, I am using SanDisk Cruzer Facet 8 Gb.

This seem to work.

Hi all,

I did not know that Cisco has their own USB flash drive . I search all other forum including routers,.... and found that there were quite a few users got problems when using Non-Cisco brand USB as well.

I will get Cisco USB flash drive just for sure .

Thanks Leol Laoho and Reza for your responses.

Leo Le

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

It maybe usb1.  What the output of dir flash or dir?

HTH

Hi Reza,

I tested with only 1 switch and that is usbflash0:

What is your WORKING USB stick size and vendor?

Thanks

Leo

joseperezctr
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem (no such device OR error opening usbflash0:/... OR Error: mount path could not be determined ).

-Format the drive to FAT16 and try again

-If that doesn't work try multiple usb thumb drives (formatted FAT16) -- It took me 4 tries to find a usb drive that worked (funny thing is that it was the oldest drive I had 1gig sony drive).

PLEASE I kindly ask you to let me know if this helped you, Thx.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, 

I tested with HP, Scandisk. It will not make any issue but USB must be formatted in FAT, Maximum size 8G and try with USB V2. 

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

carlosgfranco
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone else out there having this issue: The drive needs to be formatted as FAT (a.k.a FAT16).

FAT can only be used on partitions of up to 4GB so if you have a flashdrive larger than that, you'll need to use diskpart (or your preferred partition software) to create a partition of max 4GB. Then you will be able to format that partition as FAT and the router will recognise it.

These are the diskpart commands on Windows. THIS WILL WIPE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR USB PENDRIVE:

diskpart
list disk
select disk <INDEX OF USB DISK>
clean
create part primary size=4000
active

Done! Now you can use Windows Explorer to format the drive as FAT.

Cheers!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card