Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Wireless Stress & user density Test

Answered Question
Feb 23rd, 2014
User Badges:

Hi All,

I have a project coming up where I need to test and confirm the existing Wireless setup can be used for a high density (approx 50-60 users) in a big conference hall.

I still don't know the environment, but I will get in touch with the customer to know more about the building, a detailed existing WLAN setup and the purpose of the WLAN in this meeting.

I was wondering, is there a way that we can simulate the total number of users and test the application behaviour? I know we can use iperf/jperf to test the bandwidth, but I am not sure how can we simulate 50-60 users in a WLAN environment and show the per user bandwidth availability to the customer.

If the customer says, he needs a 5 MB per user bandwidth availability in the conference hall for all 50-60 users, how can we test it and show the results to the customer?

There are 2 APs currently in the conference hall and 2 more will be added. These are 1140 dual band APs, remotely managed by a WLC at different site.

Thanks and Regards,

CJ

Correct Answer by Scott Fella about 3 years 5 months ago

We have used Veriwave to test density for various projects, but that tool isn't cheap.

You can always use the default calculations. Wireless is half duplex so you can say if users are all 802.11n, the max on the 2.4ghz would be 144mbps and half of that is the actual throughout for one device. You would divide that number (72) by the number of devices which will give you a theoretical throughout. Max on the 5ghz using 40 MHz channel is 300mbps and theoretical max for one user at 150mbps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Scott Fella Sun, 02/23/2014 - 19:59
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

We have used Veriwave to test density for various projects, but that tool isn't cheap.

You can always use the default calculations. Wireless is half duplex so you can say if users are all 802.11n, the max on the 2.4ghz would be 144mbps and half of that is the actual throughout for one device. You would divide that number (72) by the number of devices which will give you a theoretical throughout. Max on the 5ghz using 40 MHz channel is 300mbps and theoretical max for one user at 150mbps.

Scott Fella Wed, 02/26/2014 - 10:28
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

No problem.

Actions

This Discussion