Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500 VSS member stuck in rommon after a reload

fuhrersk8
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Forum Team!

I have a VSS member Catalyst 6500 (Supervisor 720, s72033_rp-ADVIPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(33)SXJ, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)) stuck in rommon mode. The Supervisor has the ios in the bootflash:, but when tried to boot from this image, the following error appears and then goes again into rommon mode:

%Software-forced reload

14:46:04 AST Tue Feb 25 2014: Breakpoint exception, CPU signal 23, PC = 0x42E24578

--------------------------------------------------------------------
   Possible software fault. Upon reccurence, please collect
   crashinfo, "show tech" and contact Cisco Technical Support.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

!−−− Output suppressed.

*** System received an unknown failure ***

signal= 0x0, code= 0x0, context= 0x44cc2d64

PC = 0x419dedc0, Cause = 0x1020, Status Reg = 0x34008102

rommon 4 >*** System received an unknown failure ***
signal= 0x0, code= 0x0, context= 0x44cc2d64
PC = 0x419dedc0, Cause = 0x1020, Status Reg = 0x34008102
rommon 4 >

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions!

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try a different IOS level.   How about SXJ1.

Hello and thanks for your reply;

Do you mean upgrading to a newer iOS? The problem is that the other VSS member is up and running and that would require an upgrade too (production downtime).

Is there any troubleshooting that can be done before trying to upgrade?

Thanks again for your support!

Hi,

while in rommon,set the boot variable and than reload.  set bootflash

HTH

Hello Reza and thanks for your reply; Setting the bootflash to the current ios software in the rommon bootflash will have the same result as booting the supervisor from the bootflash?

Thanks again for your support!

Hello guys; just an update: i set the bootflash to the ios version, set config register to x2102 , reset the Sup720 but still boots into rommon. Also, I tried booting form a compact flash from the working switch but still the same result.  I will proceed to replace the Sup720 linecard.

Thanks for your support.

Do you mean upgrading to a newer iOS? The problem is that the other VSS member is up and running and that would require an upgrade too (production downtime).

Is there any troubleshooting that can be done before trying to upgrade?

I doubt it.  Something is causing your switch to crash and it's showing it's software-fault.  So running the same version might not be helpful, hence I'm recommending upgrading to something else.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: