Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring VSS on Catalyst 4500 Supervisor 8-E

I am trying to configure VSS between two Catalyst 4510R+E chassis that are equipped with dual Supervisor 8e blades, all running enterprise services licenses. I have configured SSO and NSF on both chassis, but when I get to the step to configure the virtual switch domain, I'm unable to proceed any further. I'm only able to get the following output:

Switch(config)#switch virtual ?

% Unrecognized command

According to the VSS setup documentation, I should be able to input switch virtual domain <#> at this point to configure the virtual domain for VSS.

I'm guessing that the problem is the IOS version that the supervisor engines are running, which is 3.3.0XO. I know on the Supervisor 7-E blades, IOS version 3.4.0SG or higher is required to run VSS.

Can anyone confirm whether or not 3.3.0XO supports VSS? Cisco's data sheet states that the 8-E supports VSS, but the release notes are rather vague:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_29983-01.html

If 3.3.0XO does not support VSS, can anyone confirm whether or not 3.4.0SG is supported on the Supervisor 8-E?

4 Replies 4

Haihua Rong
Level 1
Level 1

Hello George,

The version of code you are currently running  (03.03.00.XO) is currently the only version available for the Sup8-E. At this time, VSS is not supported on the Sup8, but will be added in a future release.

Here is a link to the release notes for 03.03.00.XO where this limitation is explained in

detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_29983-01.html#wp2563867

Haihua

umer zubairi
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco has released 3.6.0 last week, can somebody please confirm if VSS is supported on Sup 8e with this long awaited release?

I need to know this urgently as my client is requiring this feature since so long.

Best Regards,

Umer

IOS-XE 3.6.0 does support VSS on Sup8 - Please make sure to upgrade the rom before attempting to upgrade the sup.

ROM version = 15.1(1r)SG4

HTH
Luke

Thanks Luke,

But the newly released IOS is 3.6E not XE.3.6.0 

Are these both IOS same?

BR,

Umer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco