Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Monitoring the progress of a download to a WLC

Answered Question
Feb 27th, 2014
User Badges:

Hello,

Need some help with something tricky here:

We have a AIR-CT5508-12-K9 that we are upgrading to a more recent IOS. The problem is, the upgrade process is very slow (it was done remotely). The person who did the upgrade said we were about 40% complete. Right now that person is asleep and we have no idea how to see how far the download has progressed. Is there a particular command that shows us how far the download is to completing?

I know 'show sysinfo' gives me the current running IOS. I was told that the command 'debug transfer tftp enable' would tell me more but all I see is '

*emWeb: Feb 27 22:08:33.562: Still waiting!  Status = 1'.

We were thinking of just getting someone onsite to console in and upgrade it from there, but we're a bit concerned if that would affect the WLC in some way. Is there a command to stop the download so that we can proceed with this plan? Would rebooting before the download finishes cause the device to crash and lose all configs?

So I guess what I want to know are the answers for the following:

1.Is there a particular command that shows us how far the download is to completing?

2.Is there a command to stop the download so that we can proceed to upload via console?

3.Would rebooting before the download finishes cause the device to crash and lose all configs?

Thanks very much for your kind replies.

Correct Answer by Scott Fella about 3 years 5 months ago

You don't want to stop it... might not come back up!!!!!  Save the config and see if it lets you, if not, then its still processing.  You can also look at the config boot... the top one will show you the new code if completed.

2-27-2014 10-06-32 PM.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Overall Rating: 5 (5 ratings)
Scott Fella Thu, 02/27/2014 - 19:26
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

If you try to save the config, you will get an error if the WLC is still processing the upgrade/downgrade.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

WabukiSensei Thu, 02/27/2014 - 19:28
User Badges:

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any way to stop the download then?

And how do we check if it is still processing the download?

Correct Answer
Scott Fella Thu, 02/27/2014 - 20:07
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

You don't want to stop it... might not come back up!!!!!  Save the config and see if it lets you, if not, then its still processing.  You can also look at the config boot... the top one will show you the new code if completed.

2-27-2014 10-06-32 PM.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

WabukiSensei Thu, 02/27/2014 - 20:42
User Badges:

That's correct, it didn't allow me to save the config. I guess we will just let it do its thing.

I used 'show sysinfo' to lookup the current IOS. Indeed it is still using the old IOS.

Scott Fella Thu, 02/27/2014 - 20:44
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

You have to manually reboot it, so until you do that, the show sysinfo will not tell you what you have.  If you are in the CLI, issue a show boot

That will show you the image once uploaded.

Thanks,

Scott

Stephen Rodriguez Fri, 02/28/2014 - 06:13
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

you could also run:

debug transfer tftp all

this will show you where in the download the WLC is.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Actions

This Discussion