cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 - registration, licensing, VPN

mjwestkamper
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA 5505 setup as a router behind a Comcast cable modem/router. I have static IP's from Comcast. The plan is to use it for VPN access to my network from PC / linux clients. With some help it works, meaning I can do the normal stuff, eg.e-mail, web access, etc. I can "dial out" to remote sites using the Cisco VPN Client (5.0.07.0290) on my laptop.

Do I need to register it with Cisco, as if so where?

Do I need some kind of license to provide inbound VPN services?

What VPN clients does it support?

Any direction will greatly appreciated.

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Can you point me to the URL where I can register this unit and purchase the necessary upgrades?

You don't actually have a product registration with Cisco...per se.  You would need to purchase a support contract which will allow you to create TAC support cases for the duration of the contract and allow you to download software that your product was shipped with.  This you will be able to get through your local Cisco reseller.

Microsoft provides a means to connect via a VPN embedded in windows 7 +. Is that connection IPsec?

I believe the Windows 7 VPN client supports L2TP and IPsec...though I have never tested this.

--
Please remember to rate and select a correct answer

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Do I need to register it with Cisco, as if so where?

You don't necessarily need to register with Cisco.  If you plan on using IPsec VPN then you can configure it on the ASA with no additional software or licensing.  Of course, without licensing you will be limited to the number of IPsec connections you can have.

Do I need some kind of license to provide inbound VPN services? 

With IPsec VPN no.  If you want to use AnyConnect then you will need to purchase extra licensing and software.

What VPN clients does it support?

Not sure where you are going with this, but you can connect to the ASA with any VPN client that has support for IPsec VPN over port 500 and 4500.  As for AnyConnect I believe it is only compatible with the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client.

--

--

Excellent! really appreciate your response.

I know its basic, but I really tried to ferret this out on the website.

A follow on question if I may:

Can you point me to the URL where I can register this unit and purchase the necessary upgrades? I really looked first.

Microsoft provides a means to connect via a VPN embedded in windows 7 +. Is that connection IPsec?

And thanks for taking the time. Really appreciated.

Mike

Can you point me to the URL where I can register this unit and purchase the necessary upgrades?

You don't actually have a product registration with Cisco...per se.  You would need to purchase a support contract which will allow you to create TAC support cases for the duration of the contract and allow you to download software that your product was shipped with.  This you will be able to get through your local Cisco reseller.

I believe the Windows 7 VPN client supports L2TP and IPsec...though I have never tested this.

--

--

efangman
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone just answer the question? 

Some people need to register it and this is a dead link for like most of them that are looking to register.

I answered the question above.  There is no website where you can go to register the product.  You need to create a support contranct with Cisco and this is where you will specify the product that is to be registered for support.

--

--
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card