Views
Helpful
Replies

What do i need to install with a WLC ?

mchasset
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody !

I have a question, I have to implement a wifi solution in my company, and the Cisco solution seems to be adapted.

But there are so many documents so I'm lost in the informations.

Can you please say me what I need to have a complete and reliable solution ?

What is the difference between NCS, WCS, Prime infrastructure ?? Is it necessary or I can to only install a controller and put the adapted license ?

Thank you guys.

Raphaël

P.S : Sorry if my english is not perfect !

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You only need Prime infrastructure if you want a monitoring tool. You can just have a WLC to start with.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. Monitoring tool : Prime Infrastructure(NCS and WCS are the old one)

2. WLC: AP config.; Power, Channel assignment (Only need when you are using Lightweight AP)

3. AP: provide the witeless access to client.(Standalone or lightweight)

Start with step 2 and 3.

Or as scott mentioned, block a schedule with cisco supplier or cisco gold partnet company and ask the details as per ur reqirement. They will guide you.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You only need Prime infrastructure if you want a monitoring tool. You can just have a WLC to start with.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your best bet is to talk to your local Cisco rep or a Cisco Partner. Bring them in so they can help you understand what you really need. It's hard to tell you exactly what you need when we don't know the network and your requirements.

-Scott

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. Monitoring tool : Prime Infrastructure(NCS and WCS are the old one)

2. WLC: AP config.; Power, Channel assignment (Only need when you are using Lightweight AP)

3. AP: provide the witeless access to client.(Standalone or lightweight)

Start with step 2 and 3.

Or as scott mentioned, block a schedule with cisco supplier or cisco gold partnet company and ask the details as per ur reqirement. They will guide you.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

mchasset
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your answers !

That's what I thought.

So for getting started, I can buy the controller (with the license for the APs) and the APs ?

Raphaël

Yes you can start with that...

The only reason I say that you need to speak with someone is because I have seen many environments that was just slapped together in hopes that it would work. Design it right from the start and it will cost less in the long run. There are many options of WLC's and access points that you need to take into consideration. Redundancy, how will you secure the wireless and also implementing a solution that will still work for you in 5 years. Trust me on this... You don't want us to just tell you what to buy and putting all your requirements into a thread would be difficult. Speak with someone and then if you have questions or maybe want us to validate the design or purchase, we can help you there.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card