cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

auto dial (PLAR); am I missing something????

zephynator
Level 1
Level 1

I have done a lot of reading about PLAR and have configured it successfully on some test sets. My question/frustration here is around how this is isolated to specific hardware devices that are marked as hotline devices. What I would like to have is a customer facing phone, that automatically dials our operator when it goes off-hook. Why in the world would I only want to do this with a matched set of devices?

Used to be able to accomplish this on a Nortel system by using FTR HOT D nn x...x. Used to use that for elevator lines. I tried messing with a hunt group, but couldn't get that working the way I want. I was able to make a call-pickup group work to pick up the call, but the operator is on an attendant console, and I don't want to have to make them press more buttons to pick up a call.

Is PLAR really the only way to do something like this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You don't have to set anything on the receptionist phone. What phone and protocol are you using?

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

I'm trying to understand what it is that you're trying to do. If you want a phone line to dial a certain number when it goes off-hook, that would be a PLAR configuration. If you want to dial a group of phones by dialing 1 number, that would be a Hunt Pilot configuration. You can combine the two scenarios.

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

To clarify, I would like the autodial phone to dial an existing set that is, in our case, an operator set that receives regular calls from inside and outside the organization. The destination doesn't really matter, I just want the phone to dial some digits. In order to make the operator phone a hotline recipient, you have to check the "hotline" box in the set config, which renders it useless for receiving all of the other calls. It will now ONLY receive hotline calls from the other configured hotline device(s).

You don't have to set anything on the receptionist phone. What phone and protocol are you using?

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

You're configuring a hotline phone and not a default PLAR configuration. The hotline is used to restrict the end device phone from being dialed by anyone other phone aside from a hotline phone. If you configure a PLAR configuration, you don't have to configure a hotline, you could just configure PLAR. Steps are below:

Configuring Private Line Automatic Ringdown (PLAR)

You can configure Private Line Automatic  Ringdown (PLAR), so when the user goes off hook (or the NewCall softkey  or line key gets pressed), the phone immediately dials a preconfigured  number. The phone user cannot dial any other number from the phone line  that gets configured for PLAR.

PLAR works with features such as barge, cBarge,  or single button barge. If you use PLAR with a feature, you must  configure the feature as described in the feature documentation, and you  must configure the PLAR destination, which is a directory number that  is used specifically for PLAR.

The following example describes how to enable  PLAR functionality for phones that support barge and that are running  SCCP and SIP. A and A' represent shared-line devices that you configured  for barge, and B1 represents the directory number for the PLAR  destination. To enable PLAR functionality from A/A', see the following  example:

Tip Step 1 through Step 4 apply if you want to configure PLAR for phones that are running SCCP. For phones that are running SIP, you must perform Step 1 through Step 6.  Before you attempt to configure PLAR, verify that your phone model  supports PLAR. To determine whether your phone supports PLAR, refer to  the Cisco Unified IP Phone Administration Guide that supports your phone model and this release of Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

Example for How to Configure PLAR

Step 1 Create  a partition, for example, P1, and a calling search space, for example  CSS1, so CSS1 contains P1. (In Cisco Unified Communications Manager  Administration, choose Call Routing > Class of Control > Partition or Calling Search Space.)

Step 2 Create  a null (blank) translation pattern, for example, TP1, which contains  calling search space CSS1 and partition P1. In this null (blank)  pattern, make sure that you enter the directory number for the B1 PLAR  destination in the Called Party Transformation Mask field. (In Cisco  Unified Communications Manager Administration, choose Call Routing > Translation Pattern.)

Step 3 Assign the calling search space, CS1, to either A or A'. (In Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration, choose Device > Phone.)

Step 4 Assign  the P1 partition to the directory number for B1, which is the PLAR  destination. (In Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration,  choose Call Routing > Directory Number.)

Step 5 For phones that are running SIP, create a SIP dial rule. (In Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration, choose Call Routing > Dial Rules > SIP Dial Rules. Choose 7940_7960_OTHER. Enter a name for the pattern; for example, PLAR1. Click Save; then, click Add Plar. Click Save.)

Step 6 For  phones that are running SIP, assign the SIP dial rule configuration  that you created for PLAR to the phones, which, in this example, are A  and A'. ((In Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration, choose  Device > Phone. Choose the SIP dial rule configuration from the SIP Dial Rules drop-down list box.)

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

So, it looks like this was a combination of me overlaying nomenclature from a different system, and inferring the scope of the section of the document I was reading. I picked up the PLAR reference from the UCM Features and Services Guide, in the Hotline section. I was thinking that I needed a hotline, when in fact I just needed PLAR by itself. Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: