Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Unable to transfer file to WCS 5508 - Code file transfer failed - Unknown error - refer to log

Answered Question
Mar 6th, 2014
User Badges:

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting in here. I am having some trouble transferring files to my 5508 WCS. My intent is to upgrade them from

6.0.196.0 to 7.4. We recently purchased 2602i access points and we need to upgrade our controller software in order for the controller to register the new access points. I also just upgraded the WCS controller interface software to 7.0.240.

However, I have not been successfull transfering the file to the controller for the upgrade.

I have tried everything I know of:

*transferring the file from different TFTP server programs including tftp32d and solarwinds

* transferring the file from different FTP server applications like FileZilla and FTPD

* transferring the file from WCS web interface

* running a direct connection to the WLC with a static IP on the interface

* verified that there are no firewalls interferring with the transfer

* adjusted timeouts and buffers accordingly

I don't receive any error messages on any of my FTP or TFTP software, that would indicate something being wrong with the applications. I'm thinking this is a bug with the controller.

The transfer reachers about 97MB before it fails.

Here is the error messages I am receiving when I run "debug transfer output all" from the CLI of the controller

I feel like I am overlooking something...

################################debug transfer all output##############################

* Failed writing body

* Received only partial file: 97086398 bytes

*Mar 06 23:55:26.248: ftp operation returns 23

*Mar 06 23:55:26.253: tftp = 4, file_name=/AIR-CT5500-K9.aes, ip_address=10.5.1.18,

msg=Unknown error - refer to log

*Mar 06 23:55:26.470: upd_get_code = 4 (target=33744 msg=Unknown error - refer t

o log)

*Mar 06 23:55:26.470: RESULT_STRING: % Error: Code file transfer failed - Unknow

n error - refer to log

*Mar 06 23:55:26.470: RESULT_CODE:12

*Mar 06 23:55:26.470: ummounting: <umount /mnt/download/>  cwd  = /mnt/applicati

on

*Mar 06 23:55:26.577: finished umounting

% Error: Code file transfer failed - Unknown error - refer to log

#############################################################

Here is my sh sysinfo output.

#####################show sysinfo output########################

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.

Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller

Product Version.................................. 6.0.196.0

Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.1

Field Recovery Image Version..................... 6.0.182.0

Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.3, Env 1.6, USB console

Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

System Name...................................... WCS_01

System Location.................................. G5

System Contact...................................

System ObjectID.................................. 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1069

IP Address....................................... 10.1.0.17

Last Reset....................................... Software reset

System Up Time................................... 0 days 0 hrs 53 mins 10 secs

System Timezone Location.........................

Current Boot License Level....................... base

Current Boot License Type........................ Permanent

Next Boot License Level.......................... base

Next Boot License Type........................... Permanent

###############################################################

Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

Correct Answer by Scott Fella about 3 years 5 months ago

Well.... Since you are WCS, v7.0.x is the only code supported for WCS.  Look here.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#18972

So the trick to this is to downgrade to v7.0.x and add the WLC to WCS and then upgrade to v7.2.121.0.  As long as the WLC is added and joined to WCS, you can upgrade.  If the WLC is not joined, you will never get it to add with a higher version of code.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Overall Rating: 4.7 (6 ratings)
Sandeep Choudhary Fri, 03/07/2014 - 02:10
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

HI joe,

• First you can not upgarde directly to 7.4 from 6.0.196.0
  • You must first upgarde to 7.0 code then go for 7.4.121.0
  • How to upgarde by GUI:

1. Start your TFTP server(Must be reachable to wlc)
  2. Open GUI of WLC.
  3. Click Commands in the menu at the top of the                 window
  4. File type should be code.The parameters used in this example are:

• TFTP server IP Address—
  • Maximum retries—10
  • Timeout—6
  • File Path—./
  • File                     Name—AIR-WLC5508-K9-x.y-0.aes-----

5. Click Download in order to start the upgrade                 process.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Scott Fella Fri, 03/07/2014 - 03:33
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Just to add. Always look at the release notes for the code you want to upgrade to. It's very important because you don't want to brick your WLC. If you are upgrading to v7.4, then use v7.4.121.0. You also need to upgrade the FUS to at least v1.8.0.0. There is a newer FUS v1.9.0.0 which you can upgrade to if you want.

v7.4.121.0
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/c...

FUS
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/f...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Joel Schafer Fri, 03/07/2014 - 16:18
User Badges:

Thank you gentlement.

I have succesfully upgraded to 7.4.121.0. Downloading and installing version 7.0.x and FUS 1.7 enabled me to upgrade to 7.4.121.

There appears to be another issue now:

I have 3 controllers total. I have upgraded two of them to 7.4.121.0. One of them is still at version 7.0.235. The fully upgraded controllers with version 7.4 installed are showing up as "unreachable" whenever I go to the controller configuration menu in WCS. However, whenever I bring up each controller's individual web interface, I am able to access the interface and make changes and so forth. The single controller I have, which still has version 7.0.235 installed, shows up as reachable.

There are also many other existing access points which have be dis-associated from the controllers. Does this mean that the software did not successfully install on the existing access points?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Correct Answer
Scott Fella Fri, 03/07/2014 - 16:24
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Well.... Since you are WCS, v7.0.x is the only code supported for WCS.  Look here.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#18972

So the trick to this is to downgrade to v7.0.x and add the WLC to WCS and then upgrade to v7.2.121.0.  As long as the WLC is added and joined to WCS, you can upgrade.  If the WLC is not joined, you will never get it to add with a higher version of code.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Joel Schafer Fri, 03/07/2014 - 18:18
User Badges:

Thanks Scott,

WCS_screenshot.png

Each controller has been successfully downgraded to version 7.0.235 and added to WCS. It's after-hours now, so I am going to attempt to install version 7.2.111.3 on one of the controllers. I will return with my results.

Scott Fella Fri, 03/07/2014 - 18:32
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Well your 50% there:) Now that you have them added, you can upgrade. One thing you should look at is that if you have smartnet in your WCS, you are entitled to a free upgrade to Prime Infrastructure. This might be something you should look into since WCS and NCS has been EOL. You can upgrade to PI 1.4.1 which supports the WLC code you want to run.

Joel Schafer Fri, 03/07/2014 - 18:36
User Badges:

Scott,

I was just thinking that! Upgrading to Prime Infrastructure would most certainly be ideal. Unfortunately the vendor we purcahsed the equipment from keeps the licensing and support information, but I should be able get in contact with them and get it squared away.

I am rebooting the Controller as we speak. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Scott Fella Fri, 03/07/2014 - 18:59
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

You should be fine... I just did the same upgrade with a customer who is running v7.6 but with NCS that doesn't support that code version.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott Fella Fri, 03/07/2014 - 19:03
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Here is more info on Prime:

Ordering Information for Existing Cisco WCS Customers

If you have an active SASU contract on Cisco WCS, then you can use the product upgrade tool to order Prime Infrastructure 2.0 at no charge. Visit http://www.cisco.com/upgrade. Otherwise, determine the total license count for your existing Cisco WCS product and order the equivalent number of Cisco Prime Infrastructure major release upgrade licenses as listed in Table 7. When using Cisco Commerce Workspace, enter the top-level part number, R-W-PI2X-U-K9, to access the options. There are two sets of upgrade part numbers available, which are mutually exclusive. Ordering Cisco Prime Product Assured Software Subscription is optional with the first set and you can choose Cisco Prime Product Assured Software Subscription for 1 or 2 years. The part numbers in the second set are at a reduced cost compared to the first; however, ordering a 3- or 5-year Cisco Prime Product Assured Software Subscription contract is mandatory.

Ordering Information for Existing Cisco Prime NCS 1.0 Customers

If you have an active SASU service contract on Cisco Prime NCS 1.0 and aren't interested in using LMS, then you don't need to order anything to upgrade. You can download from Cisco.com the necessary software to upgrade to Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.0. If you are interested in using LMS, then use the product upgrade tool to order the upgrade to Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.0. Visit http://www.cisco.com/upgrade.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps12239/guide_c07-729223.html

Thanks,

Scott

Scott Fella Fri, 03/07/2014 - 19:28
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Did it work for you...

Thanks,

Scott

Joel Schafer Fri, 03/07/2014 - 19:38
User Badges:

WCS_screenshot_2.png

Success!

Thank you for all of your help Scott. I get to go to bed early tonight!

Solution Summary:

So in summary had to perform these steps in order to resolve my problem:

1.) Upgrade the FUS from base to the latest version

2.) Upgrade each controller from v6.0.x to 7.0.x, then eventually 7.2.111.3

With version 7.2.111.3 installed, my controllers now support our older 1142 LWAPS and our 2602 CAPS.

It turns out that I cannot utilize version 7.4.x because my organization still uses WCS. It looks like I need to upgrade to Prime in the near future, but I will save that for another day. I'm tired!

Thanks again everyone.

Respectfully,

Joel

Scott Fella Fri, 03/07/2014 - 19:41
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Cool... glad it worked for you.... jump on that free Prime:)  Never know if they will start charging again.. haha

Thanks,

Scott

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content