Views
Helpful
Replies

C240 with VIC 1225 : enable Failover

delahais
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a C240M3 with a VIC 1225. I would want to enable failover.

In order that, i have to enable NIV mode. But it seems to me that i could not.

Why ????

how to solve this issue ???

##########################################

C240-FCH1749V0VC /chassis/adapter # set

cli         CLI options

description Adapter description

fip-mode     Enable/disable FIP

vntag-mode   Enable/disable VNTAG

niv-mode not present.....

C240-FCH1749V0VC /chassis # show adapter 2 detail

PCI Slot 2:

Product Name: UCS VIC 1225

Serial Number: FCH17457ESH

Product ID: UCSC-PCIE-CSC-02

Adapter Hardware Revision: 6

Current FW Version: 2.1(3a)

VNTAG: Disabled

FIP: Enabled

Configuration Pending: no

CIMC Management Enabled : yes

VID: V03

Vendor: Cisco Systems Inc

Description:

Bootloader Version: 2.1(3a)

FW Image 1 Version: 2.1(3a)

FW Image 1 State: RUNNING ACTIVATED

FW Image 2 Version: 2.1(3a)

FW Image 2 State: BACKUP INACTIVATED

FW Update Status: Idle

FW Update Error: No error

FW Update Stage: No operation (0%)

FW Update Overall Progress: 0%

C240-FCH1749V0VC /chassis #

any detail on NIV

My C240 is connect to Catalyst 3750.

Many thx.

Nicolas.

4 Replies 4

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Hello again Nicholas!

I see your question was "any detail on NIV".  What actually would you like to know?  How it works? how it is enabled?  or why you get the message above?

-Kenny

Hello Kenny,

My main question is « how to use and to configure failover on VIC 1225 ». I have already configure failover on B-serie but never on c-series

For more details (please see diagram in attach), my issue is that my C240 on DRP site (just 40 metres from main site) is connected to local switch (C3560) and to LAN core (C4506 on main site). This connection on 2 Catalyst devices seems to be a problem for vSphere :

• i could see that : as soon as I connect the 2 ports, C240 lost connection to vCenter ; CIMC is still pinging.
  • I could read on ucsguru forum, someone has the same issue with 2 catalyst.

I do not have a lot of time for this deployment and installation. So, I told me to use actif/passif should be the faster way. If I connect only a cable (by shuting/ no shuting an interface on a catalyst), it works. In order to do that, automatically, I would want to implement failover on VIC1225

Any suggestion on my issue is welcome.

Many thanks.

Nicolas.

You mentioned that the C240 lost connection to vCenter, so I take it you're running ESXi on this server. 

If you're running ESXi on the C240, which has built-in methods to provide NIC teaming and failover, what is the need to configure failover at the VIC 1225 when it can be done at the hypervisor level? 

What is the current NIC teaming configuration for the vSwitch or port group level? 

How are the switchports on the 3560 and 4506 configured? 

Hello Nicholas,

What Clifford mentioned is true, vCenter can do the failover too.  Now, to me it looks like this might be something kind of obvious (let me know if you think different  :) ) but when you have CIMC NIC mode as A/A the Mgmt traffic is load balanced between the NICs, but in your deployment you have 2 different switches that will be receiving Mgmt traffic from the same host, so I think this might be expected... I can confirm it later....

PD: Sorry I replied until today, I never received notification that you had answered

Rate ALL helpful answers.

-Kenny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card