Views
Helpful
Replies

BG image working on IPC, but not on 7971 desk phone

Torrance Zeiler
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I've been through many topics on the boards here concerning the background images on supported phones but I haven't seen this particular issue yet.

First off, I have a 7971G-GE desk phone and an IPC soft phone I am testing with. I modified an existing List.xml file to use three sample images (and thumnbnails) of the correct size and placed them in the correct directory according to this document:

[https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-18765]

I thought something was wrong with my .XML file or images until I tested from the IPC phone. It works on the softphone, but it is still giving me the message "Selections Unavailable" on the desk phone even though both should use the same directory on the CUCM TFTP server. Both devices are registered to the publisher. Any troubleshooting ideas?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Try to do a factory reset on your desk phone.

1. Unplug power from the phone
2. Press # key
3. Plug power while pressing # key
4. Wait untill phone buttons start flashing.
5. Press your phone digits 123456789*0#

Now your phone will start upgrading firmware and factory reset procedure. This may take 5 mins.

After completing it, try to change the background again

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You could span the PC port on the phone and capture the packets when you press the backgrounds menu option.  This will show you what the phone is requesting, and if anything is coming from the CUCM.  Additionally, or optionally, you can run a packet capture at the CUCM.  If you are using CUCM 6+ you can do this at the CLI (via SSH or Console) with the command:  utils network capture, and then you have to SFTP the .cap file off the CUCM.

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

Try to do a factory reset on your desk phone.

1. Unplug power from the phone
2. Press # key
3. Plug power while pressing # key
4. Wait untill phone buttons start flashing.
5. Press your phone digits 123456789*0#

Now your phone will start upgrading firmware and factory reset procedure. This may take 5 mins.

After completing it, try to change the background again

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Thank you both for your quick responses. Since I forgot to mention it in my original post, I am running CUCM 9.1.2. I tried the factory reset first and after the desk phone came back up I was able to see the backgrounds. Problem solved, thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: