cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which license do I need for a Cisco 1921 ISR Router?

garrethmtt
Level 1
Level 1

I want to buy a Cisco 1921 for a stub office which will VPN into our main office. The office is in the UK.

I understand that if I want to create IPSEC VPNs, I need the SEC/K9 license.

I understand that I get this with the Product Listing:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CISCO1921-SEC-Cisco-Integrated-Services-Router/dp/B003OAP36Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SCFNW6ZA62TJYF541Q4#productDetails

Is this correct? Will I need to do anything post-purchase to activate the license?

1 Reply 1

laramire2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Basically, new and improved software packaging has been introduced into Cisco IOS Software Release 15.0. A single universal image ships with Cisco 1900, 2900, and 3900 Series Integrated Services Routers. This single image contains the full suite of software functions previously available in several feature sets across eight different software images.

Three Cisco IOS Technology Package Licenses (Security, Unified Communications, and Data) are available as add-ons to the base image. Enabling the Security Technology Package, for example, requires purchasing and enabling a new license key. This key unlocks the security capabilities instantly, eliminating the need to download upgrades or to upgrade equipment in remote offices.

The preferred alternative would be to order a security bundle for the Cisco ISR G2, which includes the Security Technology Package License.

In addition to the Security Technology Package License, certain features require software activation Feature Licenses and Subscription Licenses. These features include Cisco IOS Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) VPN, Cisco IOS Intrusion Prevention System (IPS), and Cisco IOS Content Filtering.

You will find the complete information on the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet_c78-556151.html

In most cases, Cisco or your Cisco partner will have already activated the licenses ordered at the time of purchase and no Software Claim Certificate is provided. You can determine the licenses activated on your system by issuing the show license feature command on the router command-line interface (CLI) or with a Cisco management application such as Cisco CP or Cisco License Manager (CLM).  The router listed seems to come with the security license enable. 

Hope this helps,

Luis.