Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Create VPN tunnels from clients(windows,android) to RV320

Hello , i have to configure a cisco RV320 for VPN with various clients and teleworkers. The clients are a couple of windows 7 machines 3 android phones and 2 iphones , this vpn is going to support voip softphones for all the clients to an elastix server . I have found various guides for the RV320 side:

Easy VPN

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=595e165f533f4aba9a931fd6efd71427_Configure_Easy_Client_to_Gateway_Virtual_Private_Network__VP.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=3&dispid=0&cpage=search

Single Client

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=89d9f31bc33e481ba90aa6828366a150_Configure_Gateway_to_Gateway_VPN_on_RV320_Router.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=3&dispid=0&cpage=search

Group Clients

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=3a27ab3e54714b69be974d4104feb267_Configure_Group_Client_to_Gateway_VPN_on_RV320_Router.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=3&dispid=0&cpage=search

I suppose i should use one of these three but which is the best for my situation?

Also i have tried to find guides for the clients meaning my windows 7 machines , android and iphone.Could you please guide me for the configurations for the clients as well?Can the built-in VPN in windows 7 be used or do i need specific software installed for my windows 7 and if yes where can i find it and how should i configure it?As for the mobile devices i suppose i need the AnyConnect apps both for android and iphone but how should i configure it?

8 Replies 8

What i have managed to accomplish so far is by using the software included with the cd in the package of my rv320 and the assistance of this youtube video tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYlbg6R6IMA&list=LL_QAHXiqKdEVKSBi4f1KMPg  - and with this - http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=595e165f533f4aba9a931fd6efd71427_Configure_Easy_Client_to_Gateway_Virtual_Private_Network__VP.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=3&dispid=0&cpage=search - connect from my windows clients with no issues. What i have not been able to do yet is to connect my android phones to my rv320 using cisco anyconnect app from my samsung galaxy s5 and since the phones we need to connect now are only android phones i need to find a solution for the android phones. How do i configure rv320 and anyconnect app, has anyone tried it before.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

The RV320 does not support the Anyconnect VPN client, but rather uses a browser-based clientless SSL VPN.    Anyconnect also uses SSL, but is a different setup that this router does not support.  SSL VPN on the RV320 allows clients to VPN into the network using just a browser, without needing to install any client software.  There is a setup guide available here:

Configure Advanced Secure Sockets Layer Virtual Private Network (SSL VPN) on RV320 and RV325 VPN Routers

You do have options for your mobile devices however.  The RV320 can act as a PPTP server, which is available on most smart phones under their network settings.  Look for VPN setup options.  You may also be able to configure an IPsec tunnel if you mobile devices support that.  A guide for setting up a client-to-gateway tunnel is available here:

Configure Single Client to Gateway Virtual Private Network (VPN) on RV320 and RV325 VPN Router Series

And a guide on setting up PPTP and configuring a Windows client:

Configure Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) Server on RV320 and RV325 VPN Router Series on Windows

PPTP also works well if you have any Mac clients, and is also built into Windows.  In fact Mac OSX has Easy VPN built in, I believe it is called Cisco VPN though.  As for configuring the mobile devices I don't have any guides for that since they are all a bit different, but usually you will find VPN setup options for them somewhere in the Network settings. Keep in mind any kind of VPN tends not to work well over a 3G/4G connection most of the time.

Hope that helps,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

Hello thanks for your response, i tried some of the things you suggested, and these are my results. As for the PPTP server i 'm unable to configure pptp server (i read the admin guide and even though i'm creating a new user i don't see him at the pptp server connection table.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0g2hguhfulfn9oa/pptp1.jpg

and as for the users i have this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rnwwmu6ftv76hl/users.jpg

I tried adding other users and domain names but i had no luck at configuring PPTP. What am i doing wrong?

Also as for the IPSec option i also read the admin guide and the link that you posted but i can't seem to make it work. When configuring Local Group i use Dynamic IP + Domain Name (FQDN) Authentication since we have a dynamic ip so we registered a dyndns name which we use as the Domain name option for Local security Group i use Subnet and ip address i use my internal network address. As for the Remote Client Setup i use Dynamic IP + Domain Name (FQDN) Authentication since we have remote workers and i use a fake domain name since i can't leave it blank. I'm also setting the preshared key and when i try to save it a see this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3z3z377rppzwt86/234.jpg

What else should i do , and else should i configure it?Also for the android phone i have these options

L2TP/IPSec PSK

L2TP/IPSec RSA

IPSec Xauth PSK

IPSec Xauth RSA

IPSec Hybrid RSA

IPSec IKEv2 PSK

IPSec IKEv2 RSA

and probably i should choose IPSec IKEv2 PSK, right?

I can't seem to find the correct configuration for our needs , is it actually possible?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,

did you finally find a solution ?

I am also lookin for ipsec on android with rv320

regards,

ls

Unfortunately i haven't found a solution for any of the configurations. As for the easy vpn i have found it be buggy, it used to work ok and then one day it stopped working, i recreated the configuration it it wouldn't work at all. After a week or so it started working again without making any configuration changes. For me it's not very stable i hope easy vpn works for everyone else. As for the rest configurations and specically for ipsec for rv320 i still haven't managed to make it work. Right now i'm using openvpn installed on a linux server which works like a charm. Ihope i find a solution soon, if you have any solution i would be glad to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

Hi no solution except for installing the latest firmware and resetting the router afterwards to flush any old configs out of the system.

EasyVPN works reliably for me except for OSX and IOS, there is a bug in the integrated OSX/IOS Cisco IPSec clients which prevent a connection in 9 out of 10 cases. For a strange kind of reason other Cisco routers like the ASA ones work reliably so Cisco is a little bit at fault here as well as Apple.

For Windows and Android EasyVPN works reliably for me in Windows with the Shrewsoft VPN Client and in Android with the native client. I too have reverted to a linux server with Openvpn for OSX in my case to provide a stable VPN connectivity until Cisco or Apple resolve their problems with IPSec/EasyVPN.

But given Apples track record lately I have more hopes that Cisco somehow will provide a solution than Apple ever will, there have been documented Bugs in Apples IPSec solution open for the last 5 years or so which never have been fixed.

Hi I am on a rv325 here and Android works for me (with the latest firmware). I simply setup easy vpn, then used the integrated android 4.4.4 VPN client with following settings:

Type:IPSec Xauth PSK

serveraddress: <address of your server>

IPSec-ID: <tunnel name>

IP-Sec Key: <Password/Pre Shared Key>

Then at login time enter the username and password and it should work.

The downside of this method is, OSX and IOS do not work reliably with their integrated ipsec clients 9 out of 10 connects fail, I have reverted to an Openvpn server for such cases which was active anyway in my network installation.

Android (native) and Windows ( with the ShrewSoft client) however work reliably with EasyVPN.

I confirmed. 

Routeur = RV320 V01

Firmware = v1.1.1.19

Android 4.4.4 and RV320 Easy VPN works.

Will try later for IPSEC with certificates. Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: