cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reload Access Points after enabling broadcast of SSID

Rene S.
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we've created a SSID, which is not being broadcasted. Now I would need to enable broadcast of the SSID-so my question is: how will the access points act after enabling it? Will they reboot automatically?? Or do they even need to be rebooted?

Thanks!

KR

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

No, that will not reboot your AP. You can safely enable or disabel this feature without any issue

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

If that is the case, then the answer is "No".  Changing the settings of the SSID will NOT reboot the AP.  HOWEVER, bear in mind that changing any settings in the SSID will cause the SSID to go down/up.  This is an expected behaviour.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

for broadcast a ssid , there is no need for reload.

what you need for broadcast:

mbssid guest-mode <– Only required multiple SSID to be broadcast.

If it is only single SSID this needs to be “ ssid guest-mode”!

Check more here: http://mrncciew.com/2012/10/24/multiple-ssid-config-on-autonomous-ap/

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This will depend on whether or not you're using autonomous AP or controller-based AP.  

If you have controller-based AP and you are using AP Groups, the change from the default-groups to a different AP Group will reboot the AP.

They're controller based, but I wouldn't change anything regarding AP groups, I'd just check the "Broadcast SSID" checkbox.

No, that will not reboot your AP. You can safely enable or disabel this feature without any issue

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi, only the affected SSID went down - for about 5-10seconds. No reboot.

Thanks again!

KR

If that is the case, then the answer is "No".  Changing the settings of the SSID will NOT reboot the AP.  HOWEVER, bear in mind that changing any settings in the SSID will cause the SSID to go down/up.  This is an expected behaviour.

Hope this helps.

ok, thanks for your answers. I'll enable the broadcast and will let you know how what really happened. I also expect the SSID to go down/up.

Just to add.... if your enabling broadcast, from a client side, they will only see a glitch in the network, but if your disabling broadcast, then you will have to reconfigure your deives.  If a profile was created on a device when broadcast was enabled, then the profile will not check if the ssid is not being broadcasted.  So just be careful with that.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

I assume you are talking about a WLC based LAP environment. The option is available under Wireless tab.

Onve the "Broadcast SSID" is ticked, the SSID will reload and clients will lose connections.

if there are Multiple SSID's the other SSID's wont get afected nor the access points.

This change will NOt restart the LAP's.

chatura

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card