Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

How do I show the running IOS-XE for 4500X switches other than using show version way?

Answered Question
Mar 31st, 2014
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

I am trying to find a way to show the current IOS version running in a 4500X. The show version indicates software running default and other commands like show bootvar only indicates what I have configured. Is there other way? Is it related to configuration register?

Thanks

GIL

Correct Answer by Leo Laohoo about 3 years 4 months ago

I don't understand what you are trying to do.  

The "sh hardware" (old command) or the "sh version" will tell you the IOS version of the switch.  The version is found in the first line output.  If you want to be pedantic, the same set of command(s) will show you the bootvariable statement as well as the location where the IOS file is located.  

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Leo Laohoo Mon, 03/31/2014 - 14:31
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

I don't understand what you are trying to do.  

The "sh hardware" (old command) or the "sh version" will tell you the IOS version of the switch.  The version is found in the first line output.  If you want to be pedantic, the same set of command(s) will show you the bootvariable statement as well as the location where the IOS file is located.  

Gilson Machado Mon, 03/31/2014 - 14:44
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Leo,

Thanks for answering me. I am trying to find an alternative. Yes I am aware of those commands. But I found interesting that it has some relation between the configuration- register is set and the way the show version presents what image is running and where the image is loaded.

Gil

Leo Laohoo Mon, 03/31/2014 - 18:53
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Errrrr ... You're not confusing yourself with the version of the IOS versus the version of the bootstrap, are you?

Actions

This Discussion