cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I configure WLC 2504 to do HA (N+1) method?

Nashja
Level 1
Level 1

I have WLC 2504 (version 7.6.110.0). I would like to do HA with AIR-CT2504-HA-K9. How can I configure to do HA (N+1)?

I cannot find any document that do HA (N+1) with WLC 2504.

Thank you.

31 Replies 31

Hi Kaaftab,

I have already read these guides from other reply in this Cisco Support Community but I cannot find the exact method.

Thank you.

kindly check the link for step by step guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide.pdf

Hi Kaaftab,

Thank you for your reply. I have ever read that guide before but it doesn't show the HA method of WLC 2504 model.

If you use WLC 2504 (version 7.6.110.0 or below version), you will not see "Redundancy" menu as the attached file.

Please advise me.

Thank you.

Check the link  for version 7.6.110.0  (features not supported in 2500)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn76mr01.html#pgfId-1163004

also i think you need a licence for this option "AIR-CT2504-HA-K9"

Hi Kaaftab,

According to the above link, I understand that WLC 2500 is not supported "High Availablility (1:1)" that mean it is not supported SSO HA not N+1 HA. (If I am wrong, please correct me)

Moreover, I don't know which license that I need to buy to add this feature.

Please advise me.

Thank you.

Does anyone ever configure WLC 2504 (version 7.6.110.0) to do HA with AIR-CT2504-HA-K9?

Thank you

i configure with 7.6.110.0 and its ok.

but there are not this option in 7.4.121.0

How activate ha-sku with 7.4.121.0 ?

With the 2504, the method of deploying an HA sku using N+1, is the same as if you had two licensed WLC's.  Configure both WLC's and just make sure the hostname and ip address used for management and the dynamic interfaces are different.  The VIP should be the same along with the mobility group, rf group, etc.  The main thing is to define the WLC's as the primary and secondary on the AP itself.  If you click on the AP, there is a tab called High Availability.  In that tab, you enter the hostname of the WLC, this is case sensitive, and the ip address of the WLC.  That is all you need to do.

For failover to happen, make sure you have Fallback enabled on the main screen in the Controller tab of both WLC's.

Here is a link to that:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/69639-wlc-failover.html

The HA Guide for N+1 is the same for all WLC's that support HA.  The only difference between the 2504 and the higher end models is that there is no service port, and of course the backplane and other higher end stuff:)

Please rate helpful post and Cisco Support Community will donate to Kiva

Scotty

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scotty,

I tried to configure wireless controller both primary and secondary (HA unit) as your recommendation but it is not working.

When I tried to failover to Secondary controller, the Wireless AP shows error message "%CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Could Not resolve CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER"

My configuration step as follows (Please correct me, if I am wrong)

1) Configure Mobility Group

2) Configure High Availability: "Backup Primary Controller IP Address" at Primary Controller

3) Configure High Availability: to input Primary and Backup controller IP Address at Wireless AP.

For more information, please see attached files.

I am not sure that Do I need the license to install to Secondary controller (HA-SKU)? because the license on Secondary Controller (HA-SKU) shows status "Not in Use" as the attached file.

Please advise me.

Thank you.

Remove the entry in your ha_1.jpg and try it again. When failing over, try to just unplug WLC primary from the network. Make sure that the WLC name you entered on the AP high availability tab is correct and is case sensitive. 

-Scott

Hi Scotty,

Thank you for your reply. I succeed to do the failover HA.

My configuration step as follows:

1) Configure Mobility Group on both Primary and Secondary Controllers.

2) Configure High Availability: "Backup Primary Controller IP Address" at Primary Controller.

3) Configure High Availability: to input Primary and Backup controller IP Address at Wireless AP.

4) Enable "AP Fallback" on both Primary and Secondary Controllers.

5) You need to cut license off by entering command "redundancy unit secondary" on Secondary controller (HA SKU).

Thank you for every recommendation.

Nash

That command is only when you are configuring AP SSO, not N+1.  When you setup N+1, you configure it the same as if you had two licensed WLC's.  I have never had to initiate that command on any of my N+1 installs to be honest. 

Please rate helpful post and Cisco Support Community will donate to Kiva

Scotty

-Scott

In fact this command is very useful if the 2nd WLC have only a base_license.

For example, for a N+1 configuration with two 2504:  you can order one 2504 with for example a license for 50AP and a 2nd 2504 with only a base license. In fact, when you order a AIR-CT2504-HA-K9 you receive a 2504 with only the base license. But then, when you enter the command "redundancy unit secondary" on it, it have the max license supported by the hardware (75 in this case).

Thank you to both of you Scott and Nash, this post solves my problem yes

Cheers,
Jerome

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: