Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatically Re-run Tidal jobs after they complete Abnormally

zulfikarmd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have group of jobs which runs during 12pm to 7pm during weekdays and timeout. I would like to re-run them after they complete abnormally until they complete normally. 

is there a way to do this in tidal 5.2.2?

Need help on this if there is any way or alternative option.

Thanks in advance.

Zulfiqar

10 Replies 10

Joe Fletcher
Level 1
Level 1

5.2.2. is a very dated version. However, unless something changed drastically between 5.2 and 5.3 I'd expect the mechanisms to be largely the same.

My approach would be to set a job event of "job completed abnormally" which calls a job action which just resubmits or reruns the job.

Does this work for you?

Cheers

I've tried running that way and it doesnt work. any other ideas or thoughts?

So when you say, "Its doesn't work", what does or doesn't happen?

Hi fletches40,

Apologies for the late response.

"job completed abnormally" does trigger job re-run but it keeps on running job continuosly which hammers tidal agent machine and potentially blocks/holds other important jobs to runnign that time. I've several hundred to thousand jobs which needs to be re-run if they complete abnormally and should only run every 15-20 mins for lets say max 1-2 hour interval.

I am not sure tidal is this flexible. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

zulfikarmd,

I hope you got the resolution.

I have similar issue -  I have a check status job which is a web service job and if the web service returns the 'Process Still Running', then this job should repeat itself after 'x' mins.

Is it possible?

thanks in advance!!

How about reversing the logic here? Set the job to rerun the same occurrence (in the Schedule tab) with a scanner on the job output to pick up the end condition. If the job output is something other than "Process Still Running" trap that to call a tesmcmd script which cancels the job.

Would I be right in thinking that what we're doing here is application monitoring? If so is TIDAL really the best product for the job? I can think of Enterprise monitoring solutions which may be better suited to the task.

Hi azhar15c1,

It sounds like you just need to set up a repeating job that runs multiple times throughout the day. Specify a start time, and select rerun with same occurrence or new occurrence, and specify repeat how many X times and Y minutes apart. Under the options tab, you can specify if job is currently running, then Defer Until Complete. Note, the complete status could mean whether job completes successfully or abnormally.

If this is not the case, then I am afraid you will have to provide more details on how your job is currently set up? Is this a repeating job that runs multiple times throughout the day? If so, how often does it run? On normal run, how long time does it take? and if job fails, what actions do you need?

BR,

Derrick Au

Hello auderrick,

thanks for the response.

Let me try to explain what I am trying to accomplish.

Web service Job 1 - start the process on the server

Web service Job 2 - check the status of job1

if(status = "SUCCESS") {

set the status of Job 1 = 'Completed Normally',

Start Job 3 immediately

}

if(status = "FAIL") {

set the status of Job 1 = 'Completed AbNormally',

Job 3 will not start

}

if(status = "STILL RUNNING") {

rerun job 2 until Completed Normally/Abnormally or max count

}

thanks in advance

Sorry please ignore the previous note :-

Web service Job 1 - start the process on the server

Web service Job 2 - check the status of job1

if(status = "SUCCESS") {

set the status of Job 2 = 'Completed Normally',

Start Job 3 immediately

}

if(status = "FAIL") {

set the status of Job 2 = 'Completed AbNormally',

Job 3 will not start

}

if(status = "STILL RUNNING") {

rerun job 2 until Completed Normally/Abnormally or max count

}

thanks in advance

Hi azhar15c1,

We are missing a few minute details here. For example, how long time does Tidal Job 1 run for? Does it just start process on server? How long time does process run on server?

For Tidal Job 2, do you want this job to run repeated? And if so, what is the time window or how often do you want this job to run.

I think you have the right idea by listing out most of your requirements. So, let's see if your Tidal version is can handle options for Tracking: Scan Output: Normal String(s), or Scan Output: Abnormal String(s)? This is what you probably want to check your status output for, and can be found under Job Definitions -> Run tab.

BR,

Derrick Au

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: