Views
Helpful
Replies

Summarization during Redistribution?

Saman Shamim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Let’s say I have a router running both OSPF and EIGRP on different interfaces. The router has received like 10 OSPF routes from its OSPF neighbor. I want to advertise a single summary of those 10 OSPF routes to my EIGRP neighbor. I don’t want to use “ip summary-address” under the EIGRP interface because if I'm not mistaking even if OSPF fails, the router still keeps advertising that summary route to its EIGRP neighbor and becomes a black hole. So it has to be some sort of redistribution. Is it possible to summarize during redistribution? Or the only way is to have an OSPF summary route already?

Thanks     

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

you can redistribute all the routes between ospf and EIGRP and the ip summary on interface will sumarize it. the summary will be advertised only if EIGRP has routes from redistribution.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

you can redistribute all the routes between ospf and EIGRP and the ip summary on interface will sumarize it. the summary will be advertised only if EIGRP has routes from redistribution.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

You are correct.

I just tested it using GNS3. So IP summary and Redistribute commands can be used together and as soon as OSPF routes are gone, no summary will be advertised anymore. I was under impression that the Null0 route will stay in topology but that wasn't true.

Thanks for your answer. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco