cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1130AG - Internal Antenna

TomaszCis
Level 1
Level 1

I have some 1130AG (autonomous ) AP's that are working fine.

But clients connected to one of them recently starts to have extremally poor connection quality.

As channel (1) being used is occupied - decided to change to 6 - after that change (and only that) - i am not able to connect to served SSID.

I'll have to deal with that by myself but i noticed that on this AP on G radio i have setting "Internal Antenna Configuration:"  - "disabled"

This AP has only internal one and its working so it made me confused.

On all other AP's there is "External Anntena configuration" instead of "internal".

Can somebody please point me why it differs ?  Should i worry about that ?

Here is its system info:

Product/Model Number: AIR-LAP1131AG-E-K9  
 Top Assembly Serial Number: FCZ1515Q1PS  
 System Software Filename: c1130-k9w7-tar.124-25d.JA1  
 System Software Version: 12.4(25d)JA1  
 Bootloader Version: 12.3(8)JEA

I was using procedure to change AIR-LAP to AIR-AP using c1130-k9w7-tar.124-25d.JA1.tar file (with success? ) but after that it still shows AIR-LAP

I belive its already autonomous as i am able to configure it and (apart of channel) its working.

My question is - is that normal that AP still reports LAP ?

Can this be anyway related with Channel change issue?

Thank You

Rgs

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If there's only one wireless client complaining then there's a strong chance it ain't the wireless.  

Most of the time wireless NIC drivers need to be updated.  When they aren't they can spit out spurious error messages.  

Hi

Thats not my case, everybody has the same experience including myslef when i check that.

AP operates correctly on (after brief test ) all channels except 6. I "inSSIDer" the channels but there is nothing running on 6 btw thats also the reason i prefer to move to it.

For some attempts that i was able to connect i saw also problems with connectivity to other clients connected to the same AP ( either ping, smb share and so on)

I know that apart of some "easy catch" that you may point me to - the rest is on my hands.

Can you please answer if thats correct that AP reports itself as " Product/Model Number: AIR-LAP1131AG-E-K9 "

even if its autonomous ?

What about antenna - why on this is "internal" while on others "external" - i believe its not an issue, just want to know from where this difference is coming from.

Thank you

Can you please answer if thats correct that AP reports itself as " Product/Model Number: AIR-LAP1131AG-E-K9 "

Don't worry about this.  This is just purely "cosmetic". 

I "inSSIDer" the channels but there is nothing running on 6 btw thats also the reason i prefer to move to it.

inSSIDer will pick up all wifi interference ... except interference from microwave ovens, DECT phones, wireless microphones, etc.  

Are these issue evident in 802.11b or 802.11a channels?

Thats good news - if its only cosmetic i can live with that.

Re InSSIDer - thats exactly what i though but i have no tools to check that. In fact if i have such behavior  in new deployment or new office that would me my first approach but in this case - it was working for 3 years and as far i've been told there were no changes in this area - no dect's, no new devices etc.

Its on 802.11g . I just want to discard that its coming from AP malfunctioning, if its due to environment then its other story.

What also confused me its the "antenna" shown as "internal" instead of "external" as on other APs - though there is relation.

thank you for your feedback.

Rgs

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card