cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE30: multiple authentication certificates

lliska
Level 1
Level 1
Hello, our client is using ACE30 SSL termination with client authentication. Customer is changing the authentication method from "certificates from CertAuthority No.1" to "certificates from CertAuthority No.2". The change must be smooth, will take a time, old certificates are still valid, but some users already use new certificates. The certificates issuing authorities are completly different. Q: Is it possible to include certificates of both issuing CA in one authgroup? It seems the ACE accepts only the first certificate in the group (order matters), if "OLD" is first, ACE correctly authenticates only users with certs issued by OLD CA. Other users (with NEW certificate) are not allowed to access the service. Similarly, if "NEW" cert is on the first place in authgroup, ACE authenticates only users with certs issued by NEW CA. The users with OLD cert are disallowed. Thanks, Lubomir
9 Replies 9

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Lubomir,

Are you seeing this behavior or you believe that is what going to happen. Honestly i have never done that myself but i think it should work.

Have a look at:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/ace_appliances/vA3_1_0/configuration/ssl/guide/sslgd/certkeys.html#wpxref81421

Visit Section:

Configuring a Group of Certificates for Authentication

Also, whenever you make a change you should actually apply the authgroup configuration again. From user guide:

When you make a change to an authgroup, the change takes effect only after you respecify the associated authgroup in the SSL proxy service using the authgroup command.

Sometimes i see you need to bounce SSL-PROXY service itself too.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kanwal

Hi Kanwal,

thanks for the reply. I described the real behavior. We played with the authgroups, re-applied config under ssl-proxy service and this is what we got. I have read the docs, it says we can specify up to 10 certificates (order is not important), but this does not work and I do not know, if they all must be a part od 1 chain, or it is a bug, or we understood it incorrectly and this will never work.

Thank you,

L.

Hi Lubomir,

If you are seeing this in production then it could be a bug. I would recommend opening a TAC case for further investigation.

I will see if i can find a known issue like this. If i do i will put it here but in the meantime you can open a TAC case.

Regards,

Kanwal

Hi Kanwal,

before I started this discussion, I had searched in the Bug toolkit, but have not found any similar behavior. Maybe you can find it in the internal database. Our version is A5(2.1e).

Thanks,

L.

Hi Lubimor,

This is a shot in the dark but can you define ssl parameter and do purpose checking disable and see if that makes a difference?

Disabling Purpose Checking on the Certificates

By default, during server authentication of a chain of certificates, the ACE performs a purpose check on the basicContraint field for the following:

The server certificate has a CA FALSE setting.

The intermediate certificates have the CA TRUE setting.

If the field does not have these settings, the certificate fails authentication.

If you decide that it is unnecessary for the ACE to perform purpose checking during the authentication of the certificates, you can disable it by using the purpose-check disabled command in the parameter map SSL configuration mode.

The syntax of this command is as follows:

purpose-check disabled

For example, to disable purpose checking, enter

host1/Admin(config)# parameter-map type ssl SSL_PARAMMAP_SSL
host1/Admin(config-parammap-ssl)# purpose-check disabled

To re-enable the default setting of performing a purpose checking, use the no form of the command:

host1/Admin(config-parammap-ssl)# no purpose-check disabled

Please have a looking on this link
http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/x509v3_config.html

Basic Constraints.

This is a multi valued extension which indicates whether a certificate is a CA 
certificate. The first (mandatory) name is CA followed by TRUE or FALSE.. If CA 
is TRUE then an optional pathlen name followed by an non-negative value can be 
included.

For example:

basicConstraints=CA:TRUE

basicConstraints=CA:FALSE

basicConstraints=critical,CA:TRUE, pathlen:0

A CA certificate must include the basicConstraints value with the CA field set 
to TRUE. An end user certificate must either set CA to FALSE or exclude the 
extension entirely. Some software may require the inclusion of basicConstraints 
with CA set to FALSE for end entity certificates.

The pathlen parameter indicates the maximum number of 
CAs<http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/x509v3_config.html> that can appear below 
this one in a chain. So if you have a CA with a pathlen of zero it can only be 
used to sign end user certificates and not further CAs.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Kanwal

Hi Kanwal,

unfortunately, it did not help. The behavior is the same after we applied "purpose-check disabled". Do you have any other suggestions?

One mistake on my side, it is ACE4710 with A5(2.1), not ACE30, I do not know if it plays the role, but sorry for the confusion anyway.

Thanks,

Lubomir

Hi Lubomir,

Out of ideas:( I guess you can open a TAC case now. Sorry!

Regards,

Kanwal

Hi Kanwal,

thanks, we opened a TAC case, and it is a bug CSCtg00135. Unfortunately, this bug is hidden in the database so I could not find it.

Thank you for your help.

L

Hi L,

Thank you for the information. I should have found it but may be keywords used were not a hit:)

Have a good day.

Regards,

Kanwal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: