Views
Helpful
Replies

software upgrade of ASA5510

salman abid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I don't have much information on ASA's but now i want to learn as much possible as i can.

I have an ASA5510 on which i can practice..............but first i have to do the software up-gradation from 7.0(6) to 8.2(5)

need some document to do this 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you can do that.

Copy the new image onto the internal compact flash card (disk0:) and change (or add) a "boot system disk0:/<your image filename>" command in the config. "write mem" and "reload" and watch it boot (from console will show you the power-on self test and, in the event of any problem, give you an indicator of the issue encountered).

You should also copy over an updated ASDM image and set that as the image to use in the config. The latest ASDM (7.1(6)) is recommended and compatible with ASA 8.2(5)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Detailed steps are in the Configuration Guides section of the ASA Support page.

Specifically to go from 7.0(6) to 8.2(5), Cisco's supported path is described in the 8.2 release notes. They require you to first move to 7.1 and then 7.2 before coming the rest of the way in one final step up to 8.2(5).

If you don't care about migrating any current configuration, you could just blow away what you have and go straight to 8.2(5). 

Hope this helps, please rate helpful posts.

Hi Marvin, Thanks for the quick response..... that ASA is not part of production setup its a spare ASA so i can blindly go for direct upgrade of 8.2(5) right?????

Yes, you can do that.

Copy the new image onto the internal compact flash card (disk0:) and change (or add) a "boot system disk0:/<your image filename>" command in the config. "write mem" and "reload" and watch it boot (from console will show you the power-on self test and, in the event of any problem, give you an indicator of the issue encountered).

You should also copy over an updated ASDM image and set that as the image to use in the config. The latest ASDM (7.1(6)) is recommended and compatible with ASA 8.2(5)

I prefer to go to version 8.4 or above if you have it and you have enough DRAM on the ASA. This is because newer versions support object group and also the NAT syntax used are different than older version (pre 8.3).

Object group makes things easier for your to manage the configuration on the ASA. Here is a document where you can see the different, in terms of NAT, between older and newer version. 

I agree that the newer code is better to learn on going forwards.

Since he was already running 7.0(6) (ca. August 2006) on the unit, one could assume that it was older - the ASA 5510 did not (by default) start shipping with the necessary 1 GB of DRAM required for 8.3+ until Feb 2010. (Reference)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: