cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot change password after SG200-26P firmware update

gabriel_14
Level 1
Level 1

New to this forum.  I just updated SG200-26P firmware from 1.0.0.19 to 1.3.7.18 and rebooted.  After login, I am asked for new password because "your password has exceeded maximum lifetime".  I fill in the required information but it does not work.  I always get "incorrect old password".  I know the old password is correct because I just used in for logging in!  I could not find a way to reset to factory defaults: I cannot pass the opening screen asking to change password.  "About" reports firmware 1.3.7.18.

This model does not have a console port.  I tried Telnet through the network but no success.  It seems this model does not have CLI.

Is there a way to bypass the opening screen asking to change password?  If not, how can it be reset to factory defaults?

Best Regards,

Gabriel

13 Replies 13

scottatbinnj
Level 1
Level 1

Did you get this resolved? Somewhat hesitant to do this upgrade given your experience.

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Gabriel,

Your situation is a bit unusual, I haven't heard of that happening before.  

When you upgraded the firmware did you also upgrade the bootcode at the same time?  I have seen not having both new versions cause some odd issues before.

When you first boot the switch it may take a few minutes for the NTP service to update the time, which may cause an incorrect expired password notice, however the expiring password is not enabled by default and since your old password isn't working I am guessing something else is going on.  Did you try using the default password for the old password at all?

You are correct that this model does not have any CLI.  The Sx300 and higher have a console port and telnet/SSH access, but not this one.  You should however be able to reset the switch to factory defaults by holding in the reset button for 30 seconds until all of the port lights come on.  The switch will then reboot and come back up at factory defaults.  You should then be able to login with cisco/cisco.

I would recommend checking your bootcode version as soon as you get back into the switch, and updating it if required.  The newer firmware/bootcode changes some of the filesystem sizes around.  Usually this upgrade doesn't cause any issues.  

I usually upload the firmware, then the bootcode, change my active image (if the switch has a dual-image feature) and then reboot the switch once.  Please note it will take longer then usual to reboot when you first upgrade because of the changes being made.

Let me know if any of that helps at all,

Christopher Ebert - Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Dorian Kind
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem here with an SG300-28P switch. Did you manage to solve this issue without a factory reset?

[e]: This is also with firmware 1.3.7.18.

Hello Dorian,

The issue has not been resolved yet.  I came to the conclusion that it needs factory reset.  I just need a suitable time to do it.  Since a while, I cannot even connect to it with the ip address. 

There is also another problem, not sure if related to the first one:  every few weeks, I have to cycle power on the switch to bring back the data transmission speed to an acceptable level (>50 Mb/sec).  Over time, speed deteriorates seriously (< 10Mb) until next power reset.

Your model SG300-28P has an option which mine does not have:  console port.  Using this CLI, may be you can regain access to the switch.

Hi Gabriel,

thanks for your quick reply. I don't think we've had the other problems you mentioned, just the password expiry issue. I'll see that I can dig out an old laptop with a console port :)

Hi Dorian,

if you manage to connect via serial (Putty and perhaps USB-to-serial adapter) in boot menu there is a password recovery option. This would allow you to access switch using basically any password and change as required.

Tom posted very nice document some time ago: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/112856/how-recover-reboot-loop-sx300

Regards,

Aleksandra

Thanks Aleksandra, I will try that as soon as possible.

Hello Garbriel,

Do you have latest firmware and boot code? I would advise you to enable debug logging and save on RAM so it would be saved even after reboot.

Regards,

Aleksandra

Hello Aleksandra,

Thanks for your answer.  I cannot look at the settings because I have not been able to connect to the switch and get the logon screen.  Last time I connected, a few months ago, it was reporting 1.3.7.18.  I see there is a new version 1.4.0.88.  I will have to do factory reset and install the upgrade.

I am confused about warning on page 9 of this release note "R_137x_RN.pdf":  Before upgrading to version 1.3.5 and later, the boot loader also needs to be
updated.

If version 1.3.5 or later is installed using the original boot loader, the file system will
not be upgraded, and in the future the user will not be allowed to upgrade to
versions higher than 1.3.5.

In the newest release note "R_1_4_RN.pdf", this warning is different:

In versions 1.3.5 and later, the Flash file system has been upgraded. This has
implications when upgrading from previous releases to version 1.3.5, and when
downgrading from 1.3.5 or later to previous versions as described below.

When upgrading the device from version prior to 1.3.5, you first need to upgrade
the device image to image version 1.3.5 or 1.3.7 and the latest boot file (1.4.0.x).

I thought "firmware", "image" and "boot file" were all the same thing.  If they are different, then, how do I install the updated boot loader before installing the new firmware?

After factory reset, will SG200-26P returns to 1.3.7.18 or to the original version 1.0.0.19 ? 

Thanks for your help,

Gabriel 

Hi Gabriel,

Let me answer all your questions:

1. SG200 comes with boot code and firmware; not always new firmware release means new boot code as well;

2. the latest boot loader/boot code and firmware are in the same zip file;

3. for 200 series (also 300) latest firmware is 1.4.0.88 but boot code 1.3.0.56

4. when firmware can be upgraded via http or tftp; boot code can be ONLY done via tftp: 

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=08ef98be59904ccc9c4d69a657f5550f_Firmware_Upgrade_via_TFTP_on_200_Series_Switches.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=1&dispid=0&cpage=search

5. factory reset returns only to factory default configuration settings but it would not affect boot code or firmware

I hope this helps,

Aleksandra

Hello Aleksandra,

Thanks for you answers and details.  I will do the factory reset, then install boot code 1.3.0.56 and firmware 1.4.0.88.  It may take a while as this switch is critical for operation and not often available for maintenance.

When done, I will post the results.

Regards,

Hello all if someone still have this issue you can try to leave all fields blank. I had this issue with SG200-50, after leaving all fields blank it went through and after I updated the switch with new password. I know its wee bit late but might help someone, weird glitch to be honest.

Regards,

Thank you for posting this. I thought I was going to have to reconfigure my switch.

What an odd problem and odd solution. But thankful that there was a solution!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X