cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS C240 M3 BIOS Flash Image Corrupted

puma130130
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco UCS C240 M3 server that the bios flash image corrupted.

I followed steps to recover the bios but as below image, this machine couldn't find a recovery.cap file..

I just plugged my USB stick and the recovery.cap file is in root folder of USB stick.

also the USB formated FAT16 and FAT32 , but it couldn't .

I plugged my USB to the thumb USB drive that is in center of the server.

Please help .. 

also, Keyboard and mouse doesn't working. they couldn't recognize too. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you get the recovery.cap from the HUU iso for the c240 ISO (see screenshot)?

Make sure that the USB drive is formated and only the recovery.cap image is inside.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Puma,

Are you trying to recover the BIOS using the recovery jumper? If not, try recovering the BIOS this way ( see link below)

Procedure 2: Use Recovery Jumper and recovery.cap File

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C240/install/C240/install.html#pgfId-1413483

Also, are you using the recovery.cap file of the current firmware version installed on this server?

Yes, I did.

I tried use recovery jumper "J2068 BIOS RCVR BOOT" and J2065 too!

but it couldn't solved yet..

please help.. T^T

From where did you get the recovery.cap file? 

What is the firmware version of your server?  Maybe you are using the wrong file

firmware version is 1.5.4 (recovery.cap : 13.9MB )

and CIMC doesn't work .. 

I configured CIMC before, but I couldn't assign it. 

Also, do you have access to the cimc of this server?  Did you assign an ip to it?

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you get the recovery.cap from the HUU iso for the c240 ISO (see screenshot)?

Make sure that the USB drive is formated and only the recovery.cap image is inside.

Dear Manvelas,

Thank you for your assistance!

It is recognized the recovery.cap file, and recovery is successfully completed.

But the server is repeating the bios recovery continuously. 

The bios jumper is on 1, 2. 

When I put out the USB stick, the message displayed "couldn't find recovery.cap"  again.

Do I need another steps? 

Do you think its main board problem?

Yes, it is possible that it is hardware related. Before trying to replace any hardware try to reset the CMOS back to default by removing the cmos battery for about 10 minutes (no power cables).   Also try to remove any other PCI/Mezzanine adapter from the server to make sure these are not causing any issues.

Also why are you putting the USB back if the recovery was successful?   After you move the jumper back to position 1 and 2 remove the USB and see if the server boot properly.

SAM MUNZANI
Level 1
Level 1

Where is this recovery file located? On my UCS 220M3 system, HUU ISO, I don't see that file anywhere in the directory structure. Please see attached image of my directory structure.

Was this ever figured out? Did you ever find the recovery.cap file?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card