cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using F2e ports for routing in a mixed M1 and F2e VDC?

gwhuang5398
Level 2
Level 2

I have a NX7k core where I'm using M1 ports for OTV and routing with 1G devices (such as firewall). The VDC also has F2e modules. Can I use F2e 10G ports for routing with other 10G devices?

I seem to remember only M1 ports can do routing when M1 ports and F2e ports are mixed in the same VDC. If that's the case, then I can't have any 10G routed links.

Thanks a lot

2 Replies 2

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

See below from the VDC config guide: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/virtual_device_context/configuration/guide/vdc_nx-os_cfg/vdc_mgmt.html#wp1263392

"To support the coexistence of an F2e Series module with an M Series module in the same VDC, the F2e Series module operates in a proxy mode so that all Layer 3 traffic is sent to an M Series module in the same VDC. For F2e proxy mode, having routing adjacencies connected through F2e interfaces with an M1 Series module is not supported. However, routing adjacencies connected through F2e interfaces with an M2 Series module is supported."

I'm mostly using the M1 module for OTV and 1G EIGRP links to firewalls and WAN routers. Most of other EIGRP links are 10G. I'm hoping to be able to use the 10G ports on the F2e module to connect to 10G ports of other switches to do EIGRP. So I'd like to verify if I can make the following 10G connections to have EIGRP adjacency:

a. between a F2e port on this Nexus7k (VDC1) and another F2e port on the same Nexus7k (VDC2);

a. between a F2e port on this Nexus7k and a F2e port on another Nexus7k;

b. between a F2e port on this Nexus7k and a 10G port on a cat4500 switch;

I seem to remember some time ago there was a Cisco document saying that F2e runs only as Layer 2 when mixed in the same VDC with M modules. So I want to make sure if I can use F2e ports as Layer 3 ports when mixed with M modules. Otherwise I'll have to use M2 modules to do routing over 10G links.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: