Views
Helpful
Replies

vrrp implementation in network

mukesh chaubey
Level 1
Level 1

Sir

I want to implement vrrp in my network .one link is vpn connection to remote headoffice .other is for internet connection as well as backup link. I have L3 switch cisco 3750 .i can implement and configure the vrrp with load balancing by creating the two group . i had done this earlier .my question is does in any case i should also connect the both ISP router link directly by cable.if yes what is advantage of it.  please guide .as i have seen network diagram of same in some orgainsation. i'm getting confused with it.  please check the diagram to..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

To use VRRP or HSRP between your 2 routers, you need to use the switch. You can create a sub-interface with dot1.q on each router and then create the same vlan id on the switch.  example:

create sub-interface 10 with dot1q of 10 on router-1 and give it an ip address.  Configure VRRP or HSRP and give it a virtual IP address.  Do the same thing on router-2 with a different IP in the same subnet and the same virtual ip.

Create vlan 10 on your switch and add it to the links that connects to both routers. Make sure the the links to both switches are configured as trunk.

Also,gave one of the routers a higher priority so it becomes the VRRP or HSRP master.  The other router will be on stand-by. Use ping to test.

router-1 192.168.1.1/24

router-2 192.168.1.2/24

vip 192.168.1.3/24

HTH

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

To use VRRP or HSRP between your 2 routers, you need to use the switch. You can create a sub-interface with dot1.q on each router and then create the same vlan id on the switch.  example:

create sub-interface 10 with dot1q of 10 on router-1 and give it an ip address.  Configure VRRP or HSRP and give it a virtual IP address.  Do the same thing on router-2 with a different IP in the same subnet and the same virtual ip.

Create vlan 10 on your switch and add it to the links that connects to both routers. Make sure the the links to both switches are configured as trunk.

Also,gave one of the routers a higher priority so it becomes the VRRP or HSRP master.  The other router will be on stand-by. Use ping to test.

router-1 192.168.1.1/24

router-2 192.168.1.2/24

vip 192.168.1.3/24

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco