Views
Helpful
Replies

I need help with a backup solution to 3 Cisco 3750

laurendvir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am in the middle of a  a big project and i am stack and need your help. i have been ask to come with the best way to configure and back up 3 cisco 3750g 48 ps switch. let me add more details,  i have two cabinets:

1. Main cabinet there need to be 2 Cisco 3750 that configure as one.
2. Second cabinet there is only one Cisco 3750. and it is located 20 maters from the main C. 
my boos want me to Find the best way to back up all the switches in case of a crash.

i need to Specify that the servers that will be install in the main cabinet wont be in the second one. because the second one is the DR.
My

My solution is:
1. In the main cabinet add a third switch and configure the 3 switches in stack mode.
2. In the second cabinet add one more switch and configure them at stuck mode.

Best Regards,

michel vaillancourt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The benefit of using a stack of 3750 is that they "SHARE" the configuration among themselves.  If one fails, the others carry on their work and configuration.  Logically, a stack of 3750 is one big logical switch.  That is true HA.

My recommendation is to move your 3750 together and stack them.  Re-run the fibre and/or copper back to the new stack.  This is the best way.  You don't need to bother about HSRP, STP, etc.  

One of the benefits of doing this is when you dual home a server.  When you dual home a server to two separate logical switches, it's basically impossible.   However, if you dual home a server to a single logical switch, then it's as easy as configuring "NIC teaming" on the server side and enabling etherchannel on the stack 3750 side.  

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you plan to backup the configuration of the switches, then do you have a TFTP server to store them? 

If you plan to backup the IOS of the switches, I'd ask this:  Are you serious????  The best way to "backup" the IOS is to go to the Cisco website and download the IOS.

i need the HA option in case of one of the swithes will crash.

You need to elaborate further because you are using 3750 switches and that's HA for you.  

i know that but my problem is that they ask to merge 2 3750 switch to act as one becuse they need more then 48 ports, and i need to have HA to the 2 swithes.

The benefit of using a stack of 3750 is that they "SHARE" the configuration among themselves.  If one fails, the others carry on their work and configuration.  Logically, a stack of 3750 is one big logical switch.  That is true HA.

My recommendation is to move your 3750 together and stack them.  Re-run the fibre and/or copper back to the new stack.  This is the best way.  You don't need to bother about HSRP, STP, etc.  

One of the benefits of doing this is when you dual home a server.  When you dual home a server to two separate logical switches, it's basically impossible.   However, if you dual home a server to a single logical switch, then it's as easy as configuring "NIC teaming" on the server side and enabling etherchannel on the stack 3750 side.  

thank you for your help:-)you have been very helpful....

Thank you very much for taking the time to rate our posts.  :)

edwin.matos
Level 1
Level 1
Archive
 Log config
 Logging enable
 Notify syslog
 Path ftp:// youftpip/youftppath/$h

Ip ftp username ftpusername
Ip ftp pass yourftppass

This will save all command on syslog, each time you copy run start, and it will save your config every 3 days automatically.

Hope this help, byw ciscoprime will do this for you as well.

edwin.matos
Level 1
Level 1
After re-reading your post. Are we talking about configuration backup, Or High Availability in case a switch crash?

Hi,I am talking about high availability. in case of a crash.lauren

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: