Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange 2012 R2 Email Flow to/from IronPort C170

DantePasquale50
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have just built an MS Exchange 2012 R2 server and need to configure the "Mail Flow"/connectors properly to send outbound emails to 2 IronPort devices and allow inbound email from those 2 devices.

I am able to telnet from the Exchange Server to both Ironports using Port 25 but see no connections from Exchange itself (no outgoing emails ever arrive at the IronPort).

Telnet from IronPorts to Exchange gets a 4.3.2 message that the Service is Unavailable. Messages are queued on the IronPort but not delivered to the Exchange Server.

Does anyone have working examples of how to configure the connectors on Exchange to do this? PS. It worked with Exchange 2003 :(

In my example Exchange -> Ironport is 192.168.4.15->192.168.4.175

IronPort -> Exchange is 192.168.24.175 -> 192.168.4.15

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thanks! I understand...if you would please mark the question as answered with your update this will definitely help out the community.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephan Bayer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For outbound messages to leave Exchange for final delivery by the ESA I think you'll want to configure a "Smart Host"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg430178.aspx

Also, you'll want to add the IP address of your exchange server to the RELAYLIST on the ESA (MAIL POLICIES > HAT OVERVIEW)

Hope this helps!

Definitely a good answer and very helpful information!

We had an Exchange Expert stop by today and check out the setup. It turns out I had way overcomplicated things. I'll document them tomorrow and update this post.

thanks! I understand...if you would please mark the question as answered with your update this will definitely help out the community.

For the "Recieve Connectors" we reset everything to the default and made sure "Scoping" for all was open to 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255

For the "Send Connectors" we made a new connector called "IronPort" with the following properties:

Delivery: Added 2 smart hosts 192.168.4.175 and 192.168.4.176 - which are the Data1 NIC on both IronPorts and have the hostnames OutboundEmail.myco.com and OutboundEmail2.myco.com

So, Simplifying was the way to go.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: