cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C2960C (WS-C2960CPD-8TT-L) configuration changes after power-cycling switch

MARK CHRISTY
Level 1
Level 1

I had a strange occcurance with this POE switch, the C2960CPD. First of all you must know that this switch sits at the end of about 260' of cat6 copper cable on a rooftop. It is not easy to get to. So...

I needed to make some possibly questionable configuration changes to the trunk port. This port is both connectivity to the switch, and POE source. One of several configuration changes caused me to loose connectivity to this remote switch. So, I did a "shut" to the local switch that supplies POE to this switch, effectively turning off the switch. I then "no shut" that port, to power up the remote switch again. Here's the question!

After bringing the port back up, I couldn't regain connectivity to the C2960C. When I climbed up onto the roof (80' up a ladder)... I found the switch was up, and the configuration I was testing was present. As if I had done a copy running-config startup-config command. I had not.

Is there a command on this IOS that causes it to behave like CAT-OS, where any change is immediately written to the startup-config actively? I've looked at the "config mode ...." commands, but don't really understand them yet.

In any case - I really need this to NOT work in that way. In case there is a mis-configuration - power-cycling the switch is preferable to a long climb up!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ramkulov.a
Level 1
Level 1

In future before start configuration on remote device type

#reload 15

That will reload device in 15 minutes and reset you latest changes.

Before 15 will expire the device will inform you and you can extend the time or cancel when you finish

#no reload

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With Cisco IOS, as soon as you type a command and press the enter key, the change takes place right a way and the change is written into the running config, until you save it to startup-config by issuing 

"copy running-config startup-config"  If you reboot the switch before issuing this command. the switch reverts back to the old config.  If you reboot the switch after issuing this command the switch comes back with the new config.

HTH

I do understand the "write mem" or "copy runn start" commands well. But what I saw was the running configuration came up after a power-cycle. I've never seen that either and if it was an anomaly then I'll dismiss it. I hope to have a serial-cat5-serial port extender to a jack on ground level - so I can recover this without sweating (literally). I wanted to bounce this off the community to see if I was missing something obvious - but I think not.

This switch is running the following IOS:

Cisco IOS Software, C2960C Software (C2960c405-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(55)EX2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Thanks All!

Ok, be aware that the IOS version that you are using, EX2, this IOS is an INTERIM software.  It's not recommended running this software on a production environment.  The main purpose for the "EX" series IOS is to get the customer running with the real IOS is still being developed. 

A good IOS to start with is 15.0(2)SE4.  Don't even try the others.

ramkulov.a
Level 1
Level 1

In future before start configuration on remote device type

#reload 15

That will reload device in 15 minutes and reset you latest changes.

Before 15 will expire the device will inform you and you can extend the time or cancel when you finish

#no reload

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've never seen this kind of behaviour before on an IOS switch.  

Out of curiousity, what version of IOS are you using?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: