cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatically Resetting DHCP Leases

stephen.pugh2
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up a DHCP scope on a Cisco 4500X.  The DHCP will service new clients and provide a PXE boot set of options.  Once built the client will access a Windows based DHCP service.  

I understand that the minimum DHCP lease duration is 1 day (24 hrs?). My question is, how can I clear the DHCP leases on a more regular basis say every 4 hours allowing me to use a smaller network IP range for the build network?  

Thanks in advance!
Steve

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try "clear ip dhcp binding". You can specify only a specific address or all ("*")

Reference

View solution in original post

Glad to hear that worked.

It looks like the 4500X IOS-XE does include support for the kron command scheduler utility.

I've not used it personally but from the configuration guide, it looks like you should be able to do something like:

!
kron policy-list ClearBindings
cli clear ip dhcp binding
!
kron occurrence ClearDHCP in 04:00 recurring
policy-list ClearBindings
!

Let me know if it works for you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try "clear ip dhcp binding". You can specify only a specific address or all ("*")

Reference

Hi Marvin

That worked, thank you.  Would you know how I could possibly automate this command to run every 4 hours?  Kron job perhaps?

Cheers,

Stephen.

Glad to hear that worked.

It looks like the 4500X IOS-XE does include support for the kron command scheduler utility.

I've not used it personally but from the configuration guide, it looks like you should be able to do something like:

!
kron policy-list ClearBindings
cli clear ip dhcp binding
!
kron occurrence ClearDHCP in 04:00 recurring
policy-list ClearBindings
!

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks again Marvin.  This will do the job nicely. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco