Master Secondary Cisco WLC environment

Unanswered Question
Apr 30th, 2014
User Badges:

I've inherited 2 Cisco wireless WLC's recently.. we have what we consider our Master Cisco WLC 5508 controller, and a 2504 WLC at our HQ.   Bottom line, these WLC's are set as individual master controllers and their respective AP's connect to each of their respective controllers.  The difference we have is the APs and locations which connect to our master wlc at our data center, guest access works fine.  The AP's that connect to our WLC 2504, do not have an Internet POP so today, employee wireless access is working, but I cannot get them guest access as it is not connected in any way to the master in our data center.   I've come over from a Aruba environment where we have a master/local environment and it worked perfectly.   Is this design in a Cisco WLC environment possible ?  Thanks, Dan

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Scott Fella Wed, 04/30/2014 - 16:54
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

You have two different model controllers and there is no master local. In the Cisco side you set the primary, secondary and or tertiary controller. What you need to do is to make sure that the VIP is the same and that each controller is configured in the others mobility group. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/4400-series-wireless-...

Then you can anchor the SSID to the WLC in the data center. That's how you can get this to work. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/emob4...

Please rate helpful post and Cisco Support Community will donate to Kiva

Scotty

ddalessa Thu, 05/01/2014 - 09:21
User Badges:

I really appreciate your response Scott.  If the controllers in place today, have different mobility group names, which they do, I tried to determine this but, but is there an impact to changing the mobility group name to 'production' ?  Would I need a change window to do that ?

Scott Fella Thu, 05/01/2014 - 09:26
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

That should be fine. The mobility group name should only be the same if devices roam from an ap on one WLC to an ap on the other. Otherwise you can have it be different. 

Please rate helpful post and Cisco Support Community will donate to Kiva

Scotty

Actions

This Discussion