RAID states changed from "OPTIMAL" to "SUBOPTIMAL"

Version: 8.0.1-023

What to do?

Is this for change of HW appliance?

3 Replies 3

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If there was a RAID event that automatically triggered the rebuild - then, monitor and assure that the RAID rebuild completes.  It may take ~2 hours to complete a rebuild, based on drive size and appliance size.  View the outcome/status of RAID with 'version' on the CLI.

What had occurred with the system recently?  Reboot for any reason?  Either upgrade, or maintenance... power fault/hard reboot, etc.?

This may be an indication of the drive going bad - which, depending on your hardware (*and contract) may require an RMA of the drive.  What type of hardware are you running?  If C160, please keep in mind that C160 does not have hot swappable hard drives, and does require a whole appliance RMA.

If in doubt - open a support case, and have tunnels opened - and we can review the backend hardware logging to review.  

I hope this helps!

-Robert

(*If you have received the answer to your original question, and found this helpful/correct - please mark the question as answered, and be sure to leave a rating to reflect!)

I know I am kind of bringing this thread back from the dead and all

"What had occurred with the system recently?  Reboot for any reason?  Either upgrade, or maintenance... power fault/hard reboot, etc.?"

So this thing will rebuild the RAID if it reboots for ANY reason? I can't say I've ever seen a device behave like that before. Performance is brutal while it rebuilds.

Marc Magloire
Level 1
Level 1

Problem Description:

Raid status changed from “Optimal” to “Suboptimal”.

Action Plan:

SUBOPTIMAL means the RAID system is in the process of rebuilding the hard disks. The RAID would be in this status(Resync) for anywhere between 8-12 hours as the drives need to be rebuilt again. This behavior is completely normal and expected after the reboot is done.

After the RAID rebuild process complete, it will turn to Optimal.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: