cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple SSID's under one radio

Benso2013
Level 1
Level 1

If I have ssid under radio0 (2.4GHz) and the same ssid under radio1 (5GHz) and connect a dual-band laptop or smartphone to the ssid, how do I know which radio it's connected to? 

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

encryption vlan 1 mode ciphers aes-ccm

!

encryption vlan 40 mode ciphers aes-ccm

!

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm

!

ssid HomeNet25G

!

antenna gain 0

mbssid

----------------------------

interface Dot11Radio1

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

encryption vlan 1 mode ciphers aes-ccm

!

encryption vlan 40 mode ciphers aes-ccm

!

ssid HomeNet25G

!

antenna gain 0

dfs band 3 block

mbssid

channel dfs

station-role root

8 Replies 8

If you get "show dot11 associations <Client_MAC_Address>" output from your AP you would see which band client is connected.

If you want to see what clients associated on Radio 0 & what clients associated to Radio 1 you can use same command with below syntax.

show dot11 associations interface dot11Radio 0

show dot11 associations interface dot11Radio 1

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

I guess my other question is this. It's nice that I can check the associations from the AP itself but that won't be practical for my goal. 

I have clients that connect with devices that support both bands (2GHz and5GHz), like my smartphone. And I have other clients that can only connect to the 2.4GHz band like my laptop. When the laptop connects to HomeNet25G, I know it's on the 2.4GHz radio but there's no way for me to figure out which radio the smartphone is on without using a third party tool and such. Is there a way to tell the AP to put all clients that support both bands on the 5GHz radio?

Hi 

What type of AP model are you using ?

If it is one of these model & you are running 15.2(2)JB2 or later you can enable "band select" feature on your SSID so that dual band clients will be connected in 5GHz band.

• AP1260
• AP 1040
• AP 1140
• AP 3500i
• AP 3500e
• AP 3600i
• AP 3600e
• AP 2600i
• AP 2600e
• AP 1600i
• AP 1600e
• AP 1550

this software version is not supported in below AP models

• AP 1130
• AP 1240
• AP 1250
• AP 1310

Here is the release notes

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/ios/release/notes/15-2_2_JB2.pdf

In CLI you have to simply configure it like this

AAP(config)# dot11 ssid abcd
AAP(config-ssid)# band-select 

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

I have the 1941w with the embedded AP. I believe the AP is one of the 800 series but I'm not 100% sure. I have the latest version of iOS on it but I will have to double check when I get home.

Cisco IOS Software, AP801 Software (AP801-K9W7-M), Version 15.2(4)JA1

That's the model of the AP and the version of the IOS I'm running. 

I run the band-select command on my ssid and it looks like it took. I have to test it out on my dual band devices. 

Well, that didn't work. After enabling band select, I wasn't I lost connection to the SSID and I'm unable to reconnect. I've disabled the band select and rebooted the AP but that hasn't helped. 

That's great, Hopefully it will work for you even document does not listed that AP model as supported.

If that works pls mark this thread as answered. smiley

Pls keep us update

HTH

Rasika

I had to reset the AP and reconfigure it to get it working again. I would still like to find a solution for my problem.

Thanks for all your help.

What I would really like to do on this device is setup the AP with 3 SSID's (HomeNet2G, HomeNet5G and HomeNetGuest). Have the first two SSID's on one VLAN (preferably the same VLAN as the LAN network), HomeNet2G on Radio0 (2GHz) and HomeNet5G on Radio1 (5GHz). Then have the Guest SSID on a different VLAN. 

If this can be done, it solves my problem but I'm told it can't which is a disappointment because I was doing this with my $50 Linksys router. 

abwahid
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

run this command 

show dot11 associations to view your clients connected to which Band.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: