WAN + GETVPN Design Question

Answered Question
May 7th, 2014
User Badges:

Hello,

Can anybody tell me, is it best practice to have GM and WAN Agg routers combined in one router in DC, instead of having GM router behind the WAN Agg router ?

If the best practice to have WAN Agg router and GM router separated ? can you please tell me, why?

Thanks in advance!

Jaber

Correct Answer by Vasilii Mikhail... about 3 years 3 months ago

Hello.

I would say: it depends :)

If you have enough capacity on one router  to do all the job - why not then, as high availability (in case of 2 routers) in the design should be achieved via routing protocol.

But if you need special QoS settings on Agg routers (that might be CE) or even a PFR, then it would be a good idea to dedicate a router for GM role.

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Jaber.Essam_2 Wed, 05/07/2014 - 05:57
User Badges:

GETVPN components are Group Member (GM) routers and Key server routers (KS)

Correct Answer
Vasilii Mikhail... Thu, 05/08/2014 - 00:27
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hello.

I would say: it depends :)

If you have enough capacity on one router  to do all the job - why not then, as high availability (in case of 2 routers) in the design should be achieved via routing protocol.

But if you need special QoS settings on Agg routers (that might be CE) or even a PFR, then it would be a good idea to dedicate a router for GM role.

Jaber.Essam_2 Thu, 05/08/2014 - 02:34
User Badges:

Hello,

Thank you vasilii for your reply, valid point,

also my opinion, router with high spics can handle both roles ( GM, WAN Agg with Qos), valid approach !

Thanks 

Actions

This Discussion