Views
Helpful
Replies

Attaching a DSL router service to a Cisco 3560

Areyouserious
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone.

Ive been working on a bit of a side experiment at home while im studying as im quite keen to study cisco.

Ive learnt a little bit of cisco at my collage but my full study on Cisco CCNA doesn’t start for several weeks yet.

I'm trying to create 2 vlans and isolate them for security purposes so that one cannot access the other, as one of the vlan's will have computers connected to it that contain sensitive information. The other, will be a wifi system that enables people to connect to it so that they can use the internet.

I’m thinking of using a a cisco 3560 layer 3 switch.

The 3560 needs to be connected to an existing DSL modem router, and the whole point of this system is so that I can share the one internet connection between two vlans, but prevent people using the wifi system accessing the other vlan that has sensitive data on it.

Ive been at this for several days now I cant work it out. Ive been trying to work it out in Cisco packet tracer first before purchasing the equipment.

I cant seem to work out the last little bit where you can configure the switch to route internet traffic to the port that the DSL Modem router is connected to. 

Im using another generic router in packet tracer to simulate a DSL modem router as packet tracer doesn’t really have dsl modems with a router inside.  As mentioned I have an existing dsl modem router I wish to use on this experiment.

Ive tried to create some Vlans, and add a the vlans internal router ip  by using the commands,

For example:

Vlan 2

Int range fa0/2

Name adsl

Exit

Int vlan 2

Ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

Ive been also enabling DHCP to work for the Wifi and the computer network – which has been working ok.

Heres a show run:

Switch>

Switch>en

Switch#show run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1440 bytes

!

version 12.2

no service timestamps log datetime msec

no service timestamps debug datetime msec

no service password-encryption

!

hostname Switch

!

!

!

!

!

ip dhcp pool office

network 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 192.168.1.1

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

spanning-tree mode pvst

!

!

!

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

!

interface FastEthernet0/2

no switchport

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/3

switchport access vlan 3

!

interface FastEthernet0/4

switchport access vlan 4

!

interface FastEthernet0/5

!

interface FastEthernet0/6

!

interface FastEthernet0/7

!

interface FastEthernet0/8

!

interface FastEthernet0/9

!

interface FastEthernet0/10

!

interface FastEthernet0/11

!

interface FastEthernet0/12

!

interface FastEthernet0/13

!

interface FastEthernet0/14

!

interface FastEthernet0/15

!

interface FastEthernet0/16

!

interface FastEthernet0/17

!

interface FastEthernet0/18

!

interface FastEthernet0/19

!

interface FastEthernet0/20

!

interface FastEthernet0/21

!

interface FastEthernet0/22

!

interface FastEthernet0/23

!

interface FastEthernet0/24

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

!

interface Vlan1

no ip address

shutdown

!

interface Vlan2

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan3

ip address 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan4

ip address 192.168.4.1 255.255.255.0

!

ip classless

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

line con 0

!

line aux 0

!

line vty 0 4

login

!

!

!

end

So just recapping

The scenario is that I have a DSL telephone modem router that I wish to connect into a Cisco 3560 switch.

I want to share the internet connection from the DSL modem, to share between two isolated networks (vlans) , they are separated for security purposes, but they both share the internet connection.

Im trying to work out the last little commands to be able to route data form the networks to the DSL modem and back.

I’m aware that I may have to add some static routes form the DSL modem as well in the GUI interface.

I’m plotting this out first in packet tracer.

If anyone is able to help me out id really appreciate it.

Thankyou so much.

1 Reply 1

mmoulson1
Level 4
Level 4

You would need to connect the DSL modem router to one of the VLAN’s let’s say VLAN2. So it will need an IP address in that range e.g. 192.168.2.2.

You will also need to add some static routes to the DSL router so it knows where your other LAN subnets are via your Cisco switch e.g.:

192.168.3.0/24 and 192.168.4.0/24 via 192.168.2.1.

From the switch you need a default route to the internet via your DSL router:
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.2

If you want to stop the PC’s in the VLAN’s talking to each other you will need some access lists applied to the VLAN interfaces to block the traffic.

Hope that helps!

Matty

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card