cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Firmware on SG200-18

mallardnathan
Level 1
Level 1

I need to upgrade the firmware on the SG200-18 to the latest version. Which of these links, and afterwards, which file do I need to download in order to do that (I just need English)?

http://software.cisco.com/download/type.html?mdfid=283783779&flowid=24309

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

You are in the correct place, you want to select SMART switch firmware.  The MIBs are for SNMP, so you don't need to grab those unless you need to.  Once you click on that scroll to the bottom of the list and select:

Sx200 Firmware Version 1.3.7.18 
sx200_boot-13506.rfb

and

sx200_fw_1.3.7.18.ros

You will have to update the firmware as well as the bootcode.  I would suggest doing them both and then just rebooting once.  Note the bootcode requires TFTP to be transferred, I usually use TFTPD32 for this.

It will also take a bit longer then usual for the switch to reboot when you first upgrade the firmware, since it is making some changes to the internal filesystem of the switch. If you are consoled in you can watch this progress.  Once you start to feel it's taking too long, just wait a few more minutes and it should come up (I have waited for lots of these upgrades in the lab).

Hope that helps,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

You are in the correct place, you want to select SMART switch firmware.  The MIBs are for SNMP, so you don't need to grab those unless you need to.  Once you click on that scroll to the bottom of the list and select:

sx200_boot-13506.rfb

and

sx200_fw_1.3.7.18.ros

You will have to update the firmware as well as the bootcode.  I would suggest doing them both and then just rebooting once.  Note the bootcode requires TFTP to be transferred, I usually use TFTPD32 for this.

It will also take a bit longer then usual for the switch to reboot when you first upgrade the firmware, since it is making some changes to the internal filesystem of the switch. If you are consoled in you can watch this progress.  Once you start to feel it's taking too long, just wait a few more minutes and it should come up (I have waited for lots of these upgrades in the lab).

Hope that helps,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

Thanks for all the great info! I got the firmware and bootcode updated successfully. 

I'm on a Mac, so I had to Google how to get TFTP going for Mac users. It was actually very easy. For any other Mac users out there, here's what I did:

1. Download "TftpServer" from: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11116/tftpserver. It's free.

2. Copy the "TftpServer" icon to your Mac's Applications Folder.

3. Double click on the "TftpServer" icon in the Mac's Applications Folder. If you're using OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) or later, you'll need to Control+Click or Right-Click on the icon and click Open instead. A message will pop up asking about opening it. Click through it.

4. Click "Reveal" in the toolbar of the application (looks like a Finder happy face). Copy/paste the downloaded bootcode file there. If OS X asks for your admin password, enter it.

5. Click "Start TFTP" in the toolbar of the application. When server status shows green, TFTP is working (ignore any other permissions errors).

6. Copy JUST the IP address section listed in the upper right corner of the application window and type it into the Switch Firmware Update screen, as well as the name of the bootcode file.

7. Apply the update.

Worked for me!

Thanks!

Thanks for that info, glad to hear it's working for you.  I am not much of a Mac guy so I am book marking this in case I have to set it up anytime soon.

Thanks again for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X