Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help needed choosing a new router

Hi there,

Our company is in need of a new router for internet traffic. Because I'm having trouble selecting a model, I would like to ask for your help on this one. Our situation is as follows:
 - Primary internet connection is a 60/10 Mbps cable connection.
 - Backup internet connection is an ADSL connection (not normally in use)
 - Currently our old DrayTek Vigor 2910 is incapable of processing more than 25 Mbps.
 - We have approximately 35 users working in our office.
 - Traffic primarily consists of web browsing, e-mail and VOIP phone calls.

When the need arises, we would like to have the option of adding an additional cable connections for more bandwidth.
Additionally, we would like to replace our OpenVPN server with Cisco VPN on this new router, which should handle about 5 users during daytime and 10 outside of office hours.

I have narrowed it down to a 2900-series router because of the flexibility provided by the EHWIC slots. I have found the following models:

ModelWAN performanceRealistic performance
Cisco 290125 Mbps167 Mbps
Cisco 291135 Mbps181 Mbps
Cisco 292150 Mbps246 Mbps
Cisco 295175 Mbps297 Mbps

These performance numbers confuse me as to which model to choose.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mmoulson1
Level 4
Level 4

Would you not consider going for an ASA?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

See if attachment helps.

GattsuTaicho
Level 1
Level 1

If I were to choose a device, I would probably go for an ASA5525. Everything you need is included and you save yourself a lot of time as configuring VPN on WAN routers can be tricky.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/at_a_glance_c45-701635.pdf

adawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, Christian_Berkhout. The Cisco ISR 2921 or 2921 would be ideal to support  more SRST and SIP. You can check this comparison table for an overview: (http://cs.co/9000cHK8). If you would consider an ASA, I recommend the ASA 5500-X for the latest models and Cisco's Next Generation Firewalls. Feel free to e-mail me (adawa@cisco.com), if you have additional concerns or need a local Cisco support/quote. Kind regards. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card