cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The forgotten Catalyst 3560E/3750E and IOS?

The IOS images for the 3560E/3750E and 3560X/3750X have been the same up to 15.0(2)SE6 - (same filenames so I assume the same software image?).  Now 15.2 has arrived for the -X series and it isn't listed for the -E series is it compatible with the -E series?  Home network is due an upgrade (3560G...) and was hoping not to spend too much and the E-series are depreciating on eBay...

Andy

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do NOT, under any circumstances, attempt to load, use, or even THINK of loading 15.2(1)E.  This IOS train has so many unresolved bugs it's like listening to western country song.   Cisco TAC has confirmed that any unresolved issues will NO LONGER BE FIXED.  

By the end of June 2014, a new train, 15.2(2)E, will be release.   I've been told that this new train will be a complete re-write.   

Be aware that 3560/G will NOT be supported in this version.  For non-E/X, you're better off with the more stable 12.2(55)SE9 than anything else.  

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 3650E/3750E series went end of SW maintenance 1/30/14, so it's to be expected you'll not see any new "official" IOS versions for them.

However, you're correct that the E and X series have been running the same images, yet we know there are features in that image specific for the X series, i.e. the 3750X StackPower.  My guess, a new X image might still work on an E series unless Cisco includes an "installed/running on" check in the software.  In that case, newer image will likely refuse to run on the older E series.  Even if there is no such check, and if the newer image does run, it might make "assumptions" that any issues particular to the E series no longer apply (creating a [subtle] bug on an E series model - and of course there's no Cisco support).

As an example of subtle hardware requirement, the C3KX-SM-10G requires a minimal version of the hardware, otherwise it won't work.  In this case, I assume the software on the module checks what it's installed/running on, but, again, such might not be the case for newer X series "only" IOSs installed on an E series.

Bottom line, if you want to play in a lab, sure why not try it.  However, something you probably don't want on production equipment.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card