Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Upgrading IOS for 1720 Router

Answered Question
Jun 3rd, 2014
User Badges:

I have a modular 1720 with IOS y-mz-12.1(5)T12 on it. I think is very old IOS, I know that router not support the newer IOS, but I want upgrade it a bit for CCENT. Any recommendations?

C 1720 32/8

I'm very new on this...

Thanks

Correct Answer by nspasov about 3 years 2 months ago

You can still accomplish a lot with 12.2 depending on what you are looking for :) If you need 15.x and newer you will need to buy something new. You can also consider trying out packet tracer and/or GNS3 ;)

Thank you for rating helpful posts! 

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
nspasov Tue, 06/03/2014 - 15:08
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 AAA, Identity and NAC Security

With that old of a router I would recommend that you download and install the latest code supported on your platform. Keep in mind the RAM and FLASH requirements selecting the version and code. 

MaikelBatista Wed, 06/04/2014 - 16:01
User Badges:

But i saw I can't install more that IOS12.2 mmmmm. Then maybe is time for put it in the trash. Thank for the Help ;)

MaikelBatista Wed, 06/04/2014 - 16:00
User Badges:

But i saw I can't install more that IOS12.2 mmmmm. Then maybe is time for put it in the trash. Thank for the Help ;)

Correct Answer
nspasov Sun, 06/15/2014 - 14:45
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 AAA, Identity and NAC Security

You can still accomplish a lot with 12.2 depending on what you are looking for :) If you need 15.x and newer you will need to buy something new. You can also consider trying out packet tracer and/or GNS3 ;)

Thank you for rating helpful posts! 

Actions

This Discussion