Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Licensing help on 4500X please

Unanswered Question
Jun 4th, 2014
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hi team, I would like to get some clarification around the licence requirements for the 4500X switches please.

From what I can see there are two licence upgrades available under the C4500-LIC= code:

C4500X-16P-IP-ES    IP Base to Ent. Services license for 16 Port Catalyst 4500-X

C4500X-IP-ES           IP Base to Ent. Services license for 32 Port Catalyst 4500-X

1.  If I buy a WS-C4500X-24X-IPB and then subsequently wish to upgrade this to Enhanced Services, can somebody tell me which upgrade code I can use?

2.  If I add a module (16 port or 8 port) to an existing -ES licensed switch (16 or 32 port), do I need to upgrade the licence?  If so, where should I get the correct code to use?  

Many thanks

LP

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
lpassmore Wed, 07/23/2014 - 20:03
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Formal Answer from Cisco

The 4500X comes in two flavours (I hadn't spotted this-LP). One is a back plane which is for 16 ports which can be upgraded to maximum of 24 ports by adding the 8 ports module. Second one is the 32 ports back plane which can be upgraded to 40 port switch.

The one which is with WS-C4500X-24X can not be upgraded further to 40 or 32 ports

Therefore if you go with a 24x ports module right now you will require to add the 16x ports license  If you go for the 32G or later upgrade it to 40X ports you will need the 32x ports option

The upper level SKU is : C4500X-LIC=
and the two license SKU is:

C4500X-16P-IP-ES
IP Base to Ent. Services license for 16 Port Catalyst 4500-X

C4500X-IP-ES
IP Base to Ent. Services license for 32 Port Catalyst 4500-X

-------------------------------------

I read from this that an additional licence is not required for adding the 8 port expansion module but am awaiting an answer.  If I don't update this take it as the truth

LP

ps I don't know how to turn this into an 'answered question', possibly because I posted the answer myself or maybe because I have to wait for a while for the option to become available.  Maybe somebody can post a reply that I click as answered - get yourself a point :)

Actions

This Discussion