cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

E1200 Connection dropping

robwchamberlain
Level 1
Level 1

I installed a E1200 router in my in-law's home and the connection keeps dropping. When working there will several devices successfully connected some via wireless (some phones, ipad, laptops, Roku) and 1 desktop hardwired.

Usually once or twice a day the wireless connections all die and cannot reconnect to the router. The wireless network is visible, but it will not connect. If I do a 30-30-30 router reset it seems to resolve the issue, but this isn't a long term solution. I believe the hardwired connection continues to work, but I have not confirmed this. 

I upgraded the firmware to 2.0.06 but this has not helped. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you for your help in advance. 

Regards,

Rob

6 Replies 6

Hello

this sounds a like possible distortion in the signal

Have you tried relocating the wifi router or changing the signal channel?

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I haven't tried either, but I will give this a try. Are there any typical things or devices that cause distortion or that I should look out for?

Hello

I am not saying this is the case with your issue, but it is possible and all sort of things can distort,absorb ,reflect  the wifi signal.

Also Is it occurring at the same time interval?

On a couple occasions I have had users that had been working fine then all of a sudden for no reason start to drop connection, and both times

it was down to maintenance moving or relocating furniture which distorted the signal.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I haven't noticed a pattern yet but I will pay a little closer attention to timing when it happens.

I was just wondering about if you are aware of any common issues with distortion because the router is placed on a shelf in the basement about a foot below the 1st floor's floor joists. The shelf also has a cable modem, DirecTv box,  and Ooma (IP phone) box. Maybe I will try to spread these out a bit if possible.

Hello

Well if both wired and wireless is dropping then it something to do with either your lan switch or the router,

Have you checked to make sure no other device is being allocated 192.168.1.1 , has this been excluded from you dhcp scope?

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

robwchamberlain
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to verify this morning that the connection drop impacts both wireless and wired connections. The wired desktop lost its connection and stated that it only had local network access, but when I attempted get into the router (192.168.1.1) it would not connect.

I also downloaded a free wifi analyzer app for my phone to see if this might provide any insights and the only thing I noticed was that the router wifi signal is weaker from a room away then it does when working.

Per usual a 30-30-30 restart gets everything back up and running.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card