Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4500 Quad Supervisor Deployment

umer zubairi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I'm installing 2nd supervisor in Cisco 4500 redundant chassis.

1st supervisor is working fine with Enterprise Services License but now i need to install 2nd (newly purchased supervisor) in the chassis.

Could someone please help me on how to deploy only one license on the chassis level and link the 2nd supervisor with the existing one's enterprise services license. 

Cisco delivered paper base license PAK with the 2nd supervisor, so do i need to use that PAK for this new supervisor OR without doing it i can sync the new supervisor with the license of existing one. 

Your usual support is required.

With Regards,

Umer

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

For SSO, you just need the ipbase license, as you have enterprise license there should not be any problem.

And you don't need separate licenses for both the redundant SUPs, you just need one license.

Following doc will help:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/white_paper_c11-685524.html

Note: Licenses are tied to the chassis but are stored locally on a Supervisor. Hence when ordering a spare Supervisor, a PAK is shipped with the Supervisor. Once the Supervisor is in the appropriate chassis, user can perform the above procedure for installing and activating the license.

Also on redundant Supervisor systems, the license is synchronized from the active to the standby so users ordering a redundant system have to order only one IPBase or Enterprise Services license to be installed and activated on redundant Supervisor systems.

Thanks

"Please rate the post if found useful"

View solution in original post

The procedure for license deployment in SUP 8-E is exactly the same as SUP 7-E.

I think you will need to contact the TAC licensing team for mapping the new SUP to the license already installed in your switch.

Thanks

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I recall, all you need to do is install the 2nd sup with an Enterprise license, and insure SSO is configured.  (I also recall, unless Enterprise license is already installed, 2nd sup installation "acts funny'; at least with sup7.)  I.e. don't believe you need to muck about with license again.

Your subject title, though, has "Quad", so is this for VSS?

You mean I need 2 licenses one for each supervisor? I heard that only one license is enough to be applied on the chassis level for both supervisor engines. It's not for VSS as Sup 8e doesn't support VSS and It's roadmap with upcoming release probably next year VSS would be enabled on Sup 8e. Now I've this scenario to make a chassis up with active and standby supervisors. But I've only one enterprise services license. One supervisor is licensed properly and actively running. But the 2nd supervisor I need to sync with the license of active supervisor. So one license would be enough for both. I need to know how to achieve chassis level license deployment. Thanks & Regards

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Sorry if I was unclear.

My understanding, at least for sup7s, the Enterprise license covers one or two sups in the chassis.

Hi,

For SSO, you just need the ipbase license, as you have enterprise license there should not be any problem.

And you don't need separate licenses for both the redundant SUPs, you just need one license.

Following doc will help:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/white_paper_c11-685524.html

Note: Licenses are tied to the chassis but are stored locally on a Supervisor. Hence when ordering a spare Supervisor, a PAK is shipped with the Supervisor. Once the Supervisor is in the appropriate chassis, user can perform the above procedure for installing and activating the license.

Also on redundant Supervisor systems, the license is synchronized from the active to the standby so users ordering a redundant system have to order only one IPBase or Enterprise Services license to be installed and activated on redundant Supervisor systems.

Thanks

Thanks Ankur,

Your response really helps but actually my existing supervisor is assembled with the permanent enterprise services license and working fine. Now the newly purchased redundant supervisor I received with PAK, so do i need to use this PAK or without it i can sync it with the license of existing supervisor? 

I am using Supervisor Engine 8-E so do you think that license deployment procedure is same as given in your mentioned Cisco documentation for Sup-7-E and 7L-E

Please advise

Best Regards!!

The procedure for license deployment in SUP 8-E is exactly the same as SUP 7-E.

I think you will need to contact the TAC licensing team for mapping the new SUP to the license already installed in your switch.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: