Views
Helpful
Replies

stack or 2 separate cores ?

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All

I am looking at replacing the core of my network with a stack of 4 3850 switches, basically, each edge switch will connect back to 2 separate switches in the stack.

Is this effectively as good as having 2 separate core switches? and we wont need hsrp etc!!

cheers

3 Replies 3

mmoulson1
Level 4
Level 4

It's better! like you said no HRSP so no timers to worry about, you can build your port channels across the stacks so giving you more bandwidth on your uplinks.

Sure there are loads more reasons as well! smiley

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Hmm, you didn't note whether this is a L2 or L3 core.

As the other poster has noted, generally the stack is superior to standalone switches, although, in theory, a dual L3 core offers a bit higher reliability as you're not sharing the same IOS on the same logical platform.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd go with stacking, Carl.  

The switchover, when one fails to another, is instantaneous and configuring something to that reaction time on a stand-alone is very, very complicated.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card