cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSEC VPN over GRE Tunnels - QoS

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

We have multiple IPSEC VPN over GRE tunnels and I am looking at QoS over the WAN for these tunnels. Can anyone suggest where to start? Reading material? Blog?

10 Replies 10

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

Anyone?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Where to start depends on what you know, or don't know, about QoS.

Depending on the platform, you can place QoS on the tunnel interface and/or the physical interface.  For the latter, there's often an option to "shadow" the original IP header for QoS processing of the tunnel packets.  Without the "shadow" copy, you can still process tunnel packets using the ToS as most Cisco implementations copy it from the original packet.  (This is all that transit devices' QoS have to work with.)

With tunnels, encrypted or not, shaping is often a requirement for an effective QoS implementation.  Also with tunnels, it's a good idea to avoid packet fragmentation caused by encapsulation.

I have used auto QoS only and local LAN only as well. So WAN is a new thing for me. So articles and some config examples would be helpful too. QoS is a beast I hear.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Oh, there's much for you to learn then.

QoS isn't really too difficult, but you need to know a lot of it to understand how to use it (well).

You might start here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise/design-zone-application-performance/landing_cVideo.html

Is NBAR still a popular thing these days? Can you recommend any lab type scenarios that I can verify my learning with?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

I don't know how popular NBAR is.  I liked it and Cisco has developed NBAR2.  So, I guess they like it too.  wink

QoS labs can be difficult to setup, as you need to push traffic to cause congestion for many kinds of QoS to "engage", and then, you really want to simulate different traffic behaviors.

How can you start to get an idea of what traffic is going through your device?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

One possibility, NBAR has an analysis mode.

I assume you must enable NBAR first and let it collect data.

Yep.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco