Views
Helpful
Replies

Summarization doubt

lohit prasad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I want to understand summarization.  As per my understanding. summarization is based upon no of "1 bits" but doesnot subnet mask matters for summarization ?

e.g. 10.1.1.1/8

10.1.1.2/8

10.1.1.3/8

10.1.1.4/8

10.1.1.1/8

10.1.1.2/9

10.1.1.3/10

10.1.1.4/11

I want to understand whether summarization depends upon submetmask or not?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

petenixon
Level 3
Level 3

To calculate a summary route, find the lowest address then the highest and then (the most important bit) recalculate using the required block size.

If you're using your first example, you wouldn't use a summary route as you're using the entire class A network range but if you wanted, you could use 10.0.0.0/8 as a summary. If we were to change that to a /24 we could end up with some networks like this:

10.1.1.0/24
10.1.2.0/24
10.1.3.0/24
10.1.4.0/24

First address = 10.1.1.0
Last address = 10.1.4.255

Now find a block size that will encompass those address ranges. Working from the third octet as the first two will not change:

10.1.0.0/21 will be our summary route using a block size of 8. 4 will be too small as this won't encompass the .4 addresses.

Don't forget that when recalculating using your block size, that you start at 0 (first subnet).

There are a lot more eloquent (and probably easier) explanations on the Cisco learning forum, but this is an easy way for me to remember and I hope this helps.

In short however, only worry about the subnet mask when finding your first and last addresses that you wish to summarize.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

petenixon
Level 3
Level 3

To calculate a summary route, find the lowest address then the highest and then (the most important bit) recalculate using the required block size.

If you're using your first example, you wouldn't use a summary route as you're using the entire class A network range but if you wanted, you could use 10.0.0.0/8 as a summary. If we were to change that to a /24 we could end up with some networks like this:

10.1.1.0/24
10.1.2.0/24
10.1.3.0/24
10.1.4.0/24

First address = 10.1.1.0
Last address = 10.1.4.255

Now find a block size that will encompass those address ranges. Working from the third octet as the first two will not change:

10.1.0.0/21 will be our summary route using a block size of 8. 4 will be too small as this won't encompass the .4 addresses.

Don't forget that when recalculating using your block size, that you start at 0 (first subnet).

There are a lot more eloquent (and probably easier) explanations on the Cisco learning forum, but this is an easy way for me to remember and I hope this helps.

In short however, only worry about the subnet mask when finding your first and last addresses that you wish to summarize.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card